Setting up the bator and setting shipped eggs this week....anyone else wanna join?

I candled my 17 shipped silkie eggs day 5 and had 11 developing. I felt that was good as they came from Georgia to California! Great packaging for sure! I was just hoping for 5 or 6 babies as it is my first time with shipped eggs and 3rd time incubating. My last hatch of my own eggs was good... in fact they need to hurry and grow so I can move them out of the brooder
hmm.png
. It is day 7 for me, but I think I will candle day 10 since I just did it...and start tossing those not developing. I must confess, I am a candling addict, there is nothing cooler than seeing those wiggly babies inside the egg, so I do look at one or two each day as I turn by hand! Temps and humidity have been steady - I am keeping humidity 35-40% and temp at 100.

Well, my chicky eggs did not arrive today so I tracked them and they arrived in Nashville this morning so I should have them
tomorrow. Guess I won't have VD chicks. Oh well another day to make sure the 'bator is maintaining it's temp.
Cindy

I'm a couple days early for candling, but I noticed that on some of my egsg the air cell is too large. One is approx. 1/3 air. How will this affect my hatch rate? Any ideas?

Last edited:
Sounds like a blood ring so probably no good.
You could keep it another day or 2 and check it
again to see if there are any changes.
Cindy

Got a dozen Millie's going in the bater tonight. Got 6 more coming, don't know where they at. The lady just said shipped on tue, so I will have to be ready for them also. Built a incubator for a back up. So wish me luck:)

Well I got a couple of "Barnyard Surprises" to put in the 'bator. Maybe one will hatch. Not sure how long they were in the cold.
Millie eggs should be here tomorrow.
Cindy

I'm a couple days early for candling, but I noticed that on some of my egsg the air cell is too large. One is approx. 1/3 air. How will this affect my hatch rate? Any ideas?

I am not an expert at all, but an air cell that large seems maybe that egg was not real fresh to start with? Did you candle when you put the eggs in originally or is this the first time? How many days are you at? If they are all growing large I think I would increase humidity to slow down the air cell growth. Perhaps this egg is more porous allowing more air in the egg, thus drying it too fast? Just my thoughts... Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Back
Top Bottom