Setup for D20 + timer - help!

ajhaig

Chirping
9 Years
May 27, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
I just cannot understand how to do settings for Intermatic Timer to run the D20 motor that raises and lowers chicken door. I am ok with the mechanical details but these timer settings confuse the cluck out of me!
Can someone provide 2 closeup photos - of timer settings and D20 setting? My times would be 7 am open & 9 pm close.
Thanks!
Arlie
A phone call would do it too -707-360-5060. or tell me the specific settings on the timer at the above times.

Last edited:
The problem with that timer is that it only cuts power on and off once. For the motor to work power needs to cut on to open the door, turn back off, and then turn on again to close the door, then back off again. That is, every time the motor gets power it activates in the opposite direction that it last ran. A normal household time works best for this reason. As far as the motor settings, that will vary depending on how big your door is and how long your string is. I will take a few pictures of my setup shortly, though.

Edit: Can you specify which timer you are using or text a picture to me? I will send you a text. If it is similar to this one it will work https://www.intermatic.com/en-us/timer-controls/plug-in-timers/tn311

Last edited:
Hi SunWhwaKwon
Pic of my timer, claims to have more ons & offs. But this is even more confusing to me!

Attachments

• timerWith2x.jpg
    timerWith2x.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 11
Hi SunWhwaKwon
Pic of my timer, claims to have more ons & offs. But this is even more confusing to me?
Just saw your edit - yes TN311

Hi SunWhwaKwon
Pic of my timer, claims to have more ons & offs. But this is even more confusing to me?
Just saw your edit - yes TN311

Sorry I did not get to text you yesterday. It looks like you have the timer set up almost right. Put the greens at 7am and 9pm (where are you that you want it to close so late this time of year?). Put the reds at least a notch or two after the greens.

As for the motor, it can take a bit of messing with to get right. My door is a cutting board and travels about 9" to open and my motor is set like this:

IMG_20181227_062119953.jpg

IMG_20180612_145709896_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180612_145732322.jpg

Sorry I did not get to text you yesterday. It looks like you have the timer set up almost right. Put the greens at 7am and 9pm (where are you that you want it to close so late this time of year?). Put the reds at least a notch or two after the greens.

As for the motor, it can take a bit of messing with to get right. My door is a cutting board and travels about 9" to open and my motor is set like this:

View attachment 1625485

View attachment 1625486

View attachment 1625487
Thanks! I can't see the timer dial clearly enough which makes me think it may be different from mine. But I will test the settings you recommended. I'm in N. CA, Sonoma Co., an area where the predators don't come out till about 1 or 2 am, in my experience of having hens killed.

Thanks! I can't see the timer dial clearly enough which makes me think it may be different from mine. But I will test the settings you recommended. I'm in N. CA, Sonoma Co., an area where the predators don't come out till about 1 or 2 am, in my experience of having hens killed.
Hi again. Do you think using a open grid screen would be ok or is it better to have an opaque door? I have no way of locking it closed, saw a youtube where the guy had an arm that swang down with a pin at end to lock it in place, then upon opening, it rotated up to unlock. I think the cable was hooked to the top arm end and the center point of the arm was fixed to the top of the door with a swivel.

Interesting motor... if you make the door slide past the bottom a bit then a predator can't get a grip to lift it up and gain entry. I would not use anything that can be grabbed like a screen and lifted up. I use aluminum diamond plate from home improvement store for my door.

No reason to close the door past dusk as chickens can't see in the dark and will not be moving around. Mine are all on the roost at sundown each day. No point in giving the early bird predator an open door.

JT

Back
Top Bottom