Setup with pool

NewAtThis8

Songster
Apr 9, 2023
Hey duck owners! I have two jumbo Pekins who live part time with my chickens but lately we realized they needed more space. So, we extended their enclosed run to have about 10 x 6’ of sand with a 4’ circumference pool in the corner. Pic of their area for reference. I’m having a super hard time getting them to understand how to get in and out of the pool by themselves. We are battling joint issues with one of them, so I expected him to be tentative and also wanted to make sure things were safe for him so he wouldn’t hurt himself- he can and does jump out of the pool by himself if he’s done which I am trying to discourage. They won’t even go in though, unless I help them. They’re not a fan of the ramp I built, which is pavers in a step pattern inside and out with a rubber tack mat over top. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 2928EFEB-9B90-486B-B85F-429573AE60A4.jpeg
    2928EFEB-9B90-486B-B85F-429573AE60A4.jpeg
    971.3 KB · Views: 93
It depends on how many ducks are using it, the weather and how fast slime grows. I have a tiny pond in my duck run for 10 ducks that I change every day. A little bigger pond in my yard that they use for maybe only half an hour or hour or hour a day, and I change that every week in the winter, and every few days in the summer.

BTW, big ducks do best with really shallow ramps, nothing steep, so you might need to make it kind of long.
I just ordered this- it’s plastic but wide and has the turf material on it for grip. Was thinking either having a long walkway with the cinders under for added support or folded over so half is inside pool half is out, though it may be too tall or steep that way.
385922D9-FDE3-4990-95C8-6E27A39AFAE2.jpeg

Looks like I’ve got a weekend project! :) thanks for the suggestions. I’ve been putting them in the pool and taking them out for the time being and I will say that I wish I had done this from the start- the extra water time seems to really be helping my poor guy’s legs.

It depends on how many ducks are using it, the weather and how fast slime grows. I have a tiny pond in my duck run for 10 ducks that I change every day. A little bigger pond in my yard that they use for maybe only half an hour or hour or hour a day, and I change that every week in the winter, and every few days in the summer.

BTW, big ducks do best with really shallow ramps, nothing steep, so you might need to make it kind of long.

What about building a wood ramp, with some railings, and covering it with astro-turf/ or that cheap indoor outdoor carpet you can get at Home Depot? Then put a couple steps made of concrete blocks and pavers on the inside for them to step out on?

Next question- the water gets gross fast! I skim it, but how often are you emptying, cleaning, and refilling? I was planning on once a week but it’s pretty nasty and today is day 3.

Back
Top Bottom