Setup with pool

NewAtThis8

Songster
Apr 9, 2023
Hey duck owners! I have two jumbo Pekins who live part time with my chickens but lately we realized they needed more space. So, we extended their enclosed run to have about 10 x 6’ of sand with a 4’ circumference pool in the corner. Pic of their area for reference. I’m having a super hard time getting them to understand how to get in and out of the pool by themselves. We are battling joint issues with one of them, so I expected him to be tentative and also wanted to make sure things were safe for him so he wouldn’t hurt himself- he can and does jump out of the pool by himself if he’s done which I am trying to discourage. They won’t even go in though, unless I help them. They’re not a fan of the ramp I built, which is pavers in a step pattern inside and out with a rubber tack mat over top. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 2928EFEB-9B90-486B-B85F-429573AE60A4.jpeg
    2928EFEB-9B90-486B-B85F-429573AE60A4.jpeg
    971.3 KB · Views: 93
Yes, the ramp is too scary, it looks like it gives a little and moves when they walk on it ? its flexible? thats scary for them.
build something solid out of wood and tack outdoor carpet to it maybe? I just make steps out of pavers outside of pool, and a step inside , they need a step inside too to help get out. I will add a pic of mine in a minute

duck pool
Thank you! My pavers on either side of the pool (inside and out and built up like steps) are tall and not as long, so I think I need to do the wood thing or get longer pavers that stack better because on their own they’re a little too tall for them to step up, especially my guy with the hurty leg. Their pool is also quite tall on the sides so that made my ramp tall. And that tack mat does give a little, not a lot but probably enough for them to notice.

What about building a wood ramp, with some railings, and covering it with astro-turf/ or that cheap indoor outdoor carpet you can get at Home Depot? Then put a couple steps made of concrete blocks and pavers on the inside for them to step out on?

Looks like I’ve got a weekend project! :) thanks for the suggestions. I’ve been putting them in the pool and taking them out for the time being and I will say that I wish I had done this from the start- the extra water time seems to really be helping my poor guy’s legs.

Next question- the water gets gross fast! I skim it, but how often are you emptying, cleaning, and refilling? I was planning on once a week but it’s pretty nasty and today is day 3.

Back
Top Bottom