SEVEN DUST for dust baths???

I think people get defensive because the use of pesticides is very controversial on here and in the past has brought on more than its share of arguments. I use sevin dust all the time in my coops and on my birds, I am not sure I would use it though in a large area for use as dustbaths. It does cause alot of dust which may not be healthy. Dust of any kind in excess is not healthy. For a dustbath area, I dont see any harm in making a mix of sand or dirt and the sevin garden dust, but I wouldnt use the garden dust alone. JMO.

Quote:
It is the same exact ingredient, just costs twice as much. I got 5 pounds for about $6.00 of 5% sevin dust, then I looked at 2 pounds of Poultry dust, 5% and it had the same exact ingredient, but was about twice as much for less than half the amount.

I used it on my Silkies to kill lice. Worked like a charm. I use it in my coops, and in the areas they dust bathe. I just wash the eggs off for a week or two before I eat them.

Quote:
What does washing the eggs off do? From what I understand, the chemical is absorbed into the egg itself? The time frame I recall is something like 54 days after exposure?

I'm just asking because I'm curious. I don't knowingly risk any organophosphates or anything that even might be an endocrine disruptor getting into my young daughter's system, but like anything, I have a very personal bias for that--I suffer from an endocrine/reproductive disease myself, and she's at high risk, so I want to do what I can to decrease her exposure to such chemicals.

I prefer pasture-raised meat, but I can't always get it. I don't buy all organic produce, but I do avoid the "Dirty Dozen," that have been shown to be heavily loaded with many different pesticides. I bought grapes the other day that had been treated with fungicides early in the growing season, but never with pesticides.

Some people have high blood pressure, and avoid salt. Some are diabetic, and monitor their sugar intake. Some have a risk of heart disease, and are careful about cholesterol. Some people don't worry about anything dietary, and just eat whatever they feel like eating. You just do the best you can, you know? We all do. I don't see any reason to get up in arms about it.

Quote:
What does washing the eggs off do? From what I understand, the chemical is absorbed into the egg itself? The time frame I recall is something like 54 days after exposure?

I'm just asking because I'm curious. I don't knowingly risk any organophosphates or anything that even might be an endocrine disruptor getting into my young daughter's system, but like anything, I have a very personal bias for that--I suffer from an endocrine/reproductive disease myself, and she's at high risk, so I want to do what I can to decrease her exposure to such chemicals.

I prefer pasture-raised meat, but I can't always get it. I don't buy all organic produce, but I do avoid the "Dirty Dozen," that have been shown to be heavily loaded with many different pesticides. I bought grapes the other day that had been treated with fungicides early in the growing season, but never with pesticides.

Some people have high blood pressure, and avoid salt. Some are diabetic, and monitor their sugar intake. Some have a risk of heart disease, and are careful about cholesterol. Some people don't worry about anything dietary, and just eat whatever they feel like eating. You just do the best you can, you know? We all do. I don't see any reason to get up in arms about it.

No, it doesnt get absorbed into the egg. But since you dust the chicken, or the area, the dust might get on the outside of the egg. So I just rinse off the egg. I wash the eggs off anyway since the come out of a butt, lol.

Quote:
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Dont care for the extra "seasoning" do ya?

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

There is a report out there that says traces are found in eggs after 56 days. I couldn't verify the source, though, so I won't quote it.

We don't use it here (although I would've liked to early in the summer when my veggies were getting eaten up by bugs) just because it's on our "hit list" of things to avoid for our daughter's sake (and mine, though she's more important, because I'm done growing)? Anything that monkeys with reproductive development is something we watch for whenever possible. We're cautious with many things that some people consider healthy, even, like soy. Anyway, here's why I'm cautious with Sevin--your mileage may vary, especially if there's no growing little girls (or boys) in your household:

ACUTE/CHRONIC HAZARDS: A poison by ingestion, intravenous, intraperitoneal, and possibly other routes; human mutagenic data exists. An experimental carcinogen, teratogen, and tumorigen; produces experimental reproductive effects. An eye and severe skin irritant; absorbed by all routes; skin absorption is slow with no accumulation in tissue. A reversible cholinesterase inhibitor. [703] Targeted organs include the respiratory system, central nervous system, cardiovascular system, and skin. [704] When heated to decomposition, emits toxic fumes of NOx. [703]

If I had to use it on plants, I'd probably stick with the liquid forms, since the powdered form is highly toxic to honeybees...and honeybees don't need any more trouble.

I'm not anti-chemical. Later today, I'll be heading out with the pump full of Round-Up to use around our driveway and in some ornamental plant beds--far away from curious chicken-beaks. I'm just cautious with things that will ultimately be ingested.​

Back
Top Bottom