SEVEN DUST for dust baths???

Just keep in mind that if you choose to use it, you would not use pure Sevin in the dust bath. (You wrote that someone told you to put "a pan full" of the dust--ack!!!!) You would just put a handful or two in the dusting area, or mix a bit in with sand, wood ash, etc.. It would make a small part of the dust bath, not the whole thing.

To keep them from ingesting any Sevin, make sure to put it in a dust bath that is far from any greens they eat. My chickens kick up a storm when they dustbathe, for instance, and the dust coats the plants and grass around the "bath." Then they pick at and eat that grass. If it's just dirt and DE in the bath, this isn't a problem. If it's a poison like carbaryl (Sevin) or permethrins/ pyrethrum, it's a very bad idea.

If you check the site i posted earlier, you will see that the sevin shows up in the egg as long as 56 days after putting it on the chicken. They dont have to eat it, it is absorbed through the skin. With the "blah, blah, blah remarks, as I have said before, I dont much care what you you use on your chickens. Please dont lead others to believe its harmless. And please let anyone you give eggs to or that buys your eggs know you use it. Happy chickening to all!

Interesting debate. IMHO:

I take it that those of you arguing against the use of sevin have never had a real "MITE PROBLEM." Mites can very, very quickly and easily kill your birds. You had better hope that Sevin works for you if you do have a mite infestation as I will also point out that in some parts of the the Southern U.S. where I reside, there are bird mites that are completely resistant to sevin dust and probably just about anything else you want to mention as a remedy. What are you going to use if you get those mites? Destroy your flock? Move? Not own chickens? hmmmm.

The problem with the website referring to the horrors and dangers of sevin dust is that the laboratory models employed by toxicologists when assessing risks from chemicals and physical agents are generally of two types:

(1) the THRESHOLD Model= this model assumes that a pesticide must reach a certain level before it causes harm. The other, used in carcinogens and the sevin dust (horror) website is (2) the LINEAR Model, which assumes that risk rises in direct proportion to dose. Neither of these models are actually very good at predicting risks to humans. This brings me to the subject of HORMESIS.

The theory of hormesis- a process whereby organisms exposed to low levels of toxins become resistant to tougher challenges. The aphorism, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" or as the 16th Century Swiss physician and alchemist Paracelsus wrote,"all things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose makes something not poison"expresses the theory on the common level.

Hormesis challenges both the Threshold and Linear Models for assessing risks of toxins. Hormesis far outperforms both models in predicting the effect of various doses for most classes of chemicals and physical agents, especially at the low doses we are discussing here in using to dust chickens for mites. Despite the success of using the Hormesis model by such renown neurologists as Drs Mark Mattson & Edward Calabrese, the toxicologists & the regulatory agencies that govern these things continue to shun hormesis sticking to their more ineffective predictors of risk that many of you believe so highly-- the Threshold and Linear models. This is because it is conveniently a lot easier to recommend eliminating a "toxin" from the environment or minimizing exposure to it, than to recommend exposure to lower, beneficial doses.

I might also point out that sevin dust breaks down readily into harmless compounds when exposed to sunlight. I agree with the poster that Sevin is highly toxic to honey bees. Sevin is also devastating to other beneficial insects. Since I put out & employ in my garden ladybugs, lacewings, praying mantis & use a fly eating wasp & nematode in my chicken run & have two bat houses up for flying pests, I limit my use of pesticides generally (prefering natural biocontrols).

Let me say in the same breath that I DO NOT limit pesticide use because I believe that Sevin dust & such is harmful to me or my chickens in the low doses we are discussing here for mite control NOR because I believe those alarmist websites some of you like to post NOR because traces were found in an egg such and such days later. My argument is that low doses, like we are discussing here, may actually be beneficial rather than harmful to people, the chickens (just not honeybees, other beneficial insects). The theory of Similia similibus curantur- ("hair of the dog that bit you") may hold some credence.

By arguing that you shouldn't eat the eggs if you use sevin, etc., quite frankly, makes you come across as ridiculous. The studies cited do not take into account HORMESIS. If my chickens are suffering with mites or near death, I will use sevin or such other substances in low doses to kill the mites as necessary. Please consider,we are not talking about a radioactive substance or chemotherapy here. Perhaps, a little dose of reality is advised. Best Regards.

Last edited:
So, how do you dust your chickens?? Do you just sprinkle it on their heads??? Or do you let them roll around in a dust mixture themself?? Some help here for a new person, please????

Thanks for your help!!! I just love the BYC.
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
I take a mason jar, fill it up with Sevin 5% dust, and then I poke holes in the top of the mason jar, and have somebody hold them, and dust them all over. Dont get the dust in their eyes, and make sure to dust by their vent really good. You can also sprinkle a cup or two where they dust bathe.

sevin dust comes in 2 strengths,,5% and 10% ,, 5% is o.k. to use in and around the coop,,,sevin dust reps said it is NOT suggested to use "straight" on the bird.( i called them) and say that if using on poultry to sprinkle it in their "pen" ,, not to put ON them.10% will kill them in days (so they said),, i figure its like drugs,,,, some people do them a LONG time with no real "effects" some people use them once and die.
i usually stick with the more "safest" way of doing things,,,so i would go with the sprinkling in their pen,, not on them.

I don't believe I argued "against" Sevin. I very well MAY have to use it, and if I do need it, I won't hesitate. I don't love Frontline, either, but when my dogs turn up with fleas or ticks, I use it. The dogs aren't a food source, though.

So yeah, I'm going to continue to not eat, or feed my child, eggs or meat which contain Sevin, even though that makes me "come across as ridiculous" to you. What an absolutely arrogant thing to say, by the way!

Back
Top Bottom