Several sick chickens! Need to know what to do! What it is!

I just had a thread going on here about my girls and there green droppings. I actually just ended up culling them there was no reversing it as much as I tried. And now I’m in a good place with my flock. I’m still obsessed with checking droppings though because I had coccidiosis earlier this summer and then round worms…. I think all that treatment just caused liver failure in a couple. Are the urates green too?

One week ago I bought some buff Orpingtons from the farm auction. One died the next day. I noticed the others looked pale so I wormed all of them. It has been a week and now others in my flock are sick. They either sound gurgles, gasping for air, green watery poop, can’t open their eyes and very very lethargic! I’ve given them all oxytetracycline last night but I need to know if that’s good or what else do I need?? HELP PLEASE !!! photos attached View attachment 3637668

So the ones who are bad sick….I need to contain them elsewhere?
Is there a bad odor about them?

If you can, get some Tylan/Tylosin and treat all of your birds.
Sadly, it sounds like the newbies have brought in respiratory disease.

Im very sorry about this...

Could be a few diseases. Avian influenza, Mareks, Newcastle, avian cholera even has respiratory signs.

In the case of it being avian flu then antivirals like Oseltamivir or Peramivir will be needed

If avian cholera, then sulfadimethoxine, tetracyclines, erythromycin, or penicillin.

Im very sorry to say but there is no cure for Marek's or Newcastle's... it is a case of antibiotic therapy to reduce risk of further complications by secondary infection.

Blisters on chest, scaly combs also help to differentiate. Discharge from eyes or spotted combs, blindness, odd shaped pupils also helps in differentiation.

I think oxytetra is a good option at this point with Tylosin also being still a favorite medication.

Maintain fluids as possible, separate the sick and lame because this will stop them from being exposed to further harm.

Msy also help in identifying the disease: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS044

Back
Top Bottom