Severe abuse of one hen by flock

70 sq ft is close to minimum for 6 birds. It's also too small to allow for clutter to break up the space and provide hiding spots.

You mentioned letting them out to free range. How long do they free range and how often? If you cannot expand the set up then free ranging during daylight hours would be an option instead.

In this case I don't know if a tractor will make any difference. It still would not provide this bird with any options to shelter or hide from the others.

Best option here is probably to rehome her if you can't expand the run or allow for full time free ranging. Minimum space set ups only work if the birds all get along well.
Everyday, though sometimes I don't have the chance. I let them out for at least an hour, sometimes two. Full time free ranging is a big no no, we have hawks, coyotes, and occasionally dogs, already lost a couple birds to predators. I will think of ways to expand the A-frame run.

Update. I moved her mini-coop into the main coop, they are curious about it but not trying to attack her. When they came across the same coop whilst free ranging they would still try to attack her through the front. I guess this way they feel she is part of the flock.

I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugs
Sounds like she may have had some kind of illness, the flock will sometimes attack a sick or weak bird, it's natural survival instinct. They hide symptoms very well, but often the birds recognize it even when we don't. A necropsy is the best way to know what happened, especially with an unexplained loss.

I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugs
Sounds like she may have had some kind of illness, the flock will sometimes attack a sick or weak bird, it's natural survival instinct. They hide symptoms very well, but often the birds recognize it even when we don't. A necropsy is the best way to know what happened, especially with an unexplained loss.
Thank you. She was running around the previous day. I know if they are lethargic something is wrong but she wasn't. No signs of infection (she didn't smell), butt area looked fine. She croaked just as I got to the coop. She was struggling and making noise and a boss hen was trying to get at her due to the disturbance. I didn't think anything of it but was shocked when I saw her life-less in the corner of her mini coop. Total mystery to me, she was a sweet bird. It was just her time that is all.

Back
Top Bottom