Severe abuse of one hen by flock

Chicken Man Can

Chirping
Nov 27, 2022
We have a pack of 6 hens, 2 older "bosses" and 4 new that we got last year as 1 day old chicks. One of the new hens has always been on the very bottom of the pecking order, but lately she has been severely abused. I found her tucked in a corner of the coop head first. I had initially though she was dead or dying but it turns out she was trying to get away from the other 5 pecking the hell out of her. Parts of both her wings are pulled out raw and when I let the chickens out she didn't want to go near the other hens or back into the coop. I witnessed them attacking her even outside, I had to break it up with a stick. I was so mad I smacked one of the attackers with the stick. Its an A-frame coop with a coop / run all in one design, a good 70 sq feet at least, plus another 15 - 20 sq foot loft on top where the nesting boxes are. Prior to this incident I hadn't a chance to let them out for a few days, we were busy harvesting crop, so they may have had pent up stress and rage from that, but all towards one hen in particular. I built a separate mini coop for her now, she seems to like it, and doesn't have to worry about being attacked. She'll stay in there till she heals (being let out to forage), but I need to know how I can make them stop attacking her if possible.

- Thanks.

You may need more space. A very dominant bird can make a space too small, even though you may be in the recommended size range. The more room they have, and things to hide behind (without being able to be cornered) or get up on, can help a lot. The size is really dictated by the birds themselves, and how they act, rather than math in an article. It's also possible that something is going on health wise with that bird, sometimes if there is an illness, the other birds know before we do. Or you may just have a very submissive bird combined with one or more very dominant, bullying birds. The fact that it happened after being confined for several days, makes it seem more like space is the issue.

You may need more space. A very dominant bird can make a space too small, even though you may be in the recommended size range. The more room they have, and things to hide behind (without being able to be cornered) or get up on, can help a lot. The size is really dictated by the birds themselves, and how they act, rather than math in an article. It's also possible that something is going on health wise with that bird, sometimes if there is an illness, the other birds know before we do. Or you may just have a very submissive bird combined with one or more very dominant, bullying birds. The fact that it happened after being confined for several days, makes it seem more like space is the issue.

Oh geeze, but what do I do now the coop is already framed and built. I was thinking of an add-on run but not sure what the best way to do that is. Thanks for replying.

Actually I figured I need to keep them occupied, they are bored. I will likely get a seed block.

Hopefully that will help. You can search for chicken boredom busters for more idea's, many are easy and inexpensive. I would start thinking of ideas to expand your run, in the event it's needed. Expanding a run is easier than building a new coop.

Hopefully that will help. You can search for chicken boredom busters for more idea's, many are easy and inexpensive. I would start thinking of ideas to expand your run, in the event it's needed. Expanding a run is easier than building a new coop.
I've settled on making a chicken tractor. They will forage inside that during the day, then coop at night. But as the season changes they won't be able to use a tractor during the rain and wind. I let them all out today to see what would happen, the victim first, then the bully flock, sadly they attacked her still, whilst free ranging.

Sometimes separating the bullies can reset the pecking order. Move the one or two causing the problem, preferably out of sight and hearing of the others for a couple of weeks. Then reintegrate them. They will have lost their top spots and will be "new" to the flock. Sometimes that works.

Sometimes separating the bullies can reset the pecking order. Move the one or two causing the problem, preferably out of sight and hearing of the others for a couple of weeks. Then reintegrate them. They will have lost their top spots and will be "new" to the flock. Sometimes that works.

You can put peepers on the bullies, they work.

It's the whole flock flogging her... I'm gonna try what others have suggested and put her iso-coop inside the main coop.

70 sq ft is close to minimum for 6 birds. It's also too small to allow for clutter to break up the space and provide hiding spots.

You mentioned letting them out to free range. How long do they free range and how often? If you cannot expand the set up then free ranging during daylight hours would be an option instead.

In this case I don't know if a tractor will make any difference. It still would not provide this bird with any options to shelter or hide from the others.

Best option here is probably to rehome her if you can't expand the run or allow for full time free ranging. Minimum space set ups only work if the birds all get along well.

Back
Top Bottom