Severe Mites AND Fowl Pox??

Have you been able to get any supplies to try crop feeding her while you wait on medication?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-go-broody-they-said-ha.1495506/post-25270322
This is @Sk8inChick(en) 's mom.

No, but she's taking in about 9 ml of a soft food mixture, 3-4 times a day. It has pureed chick starter, meat, and bananas.. Yesterday and today, she is considerably weaker, can't get up on roost, and I've seen her fall over several times. She tries to eat on her own, but just can't get food beyond the middle of her beak. This is breaking my heart.😞

This is @Sk8inChick(en) 's mom.

No, but she's taking in about 9 ml of a soft food mixture, 3-4 times a day. It has pureed chick starter, meat, and bananas.. Yesterday and today, she is considerably weaker, can't get up on roost, and I've seen her fall over several times. She tries to eat on her own, but just can't get food beyond the middle of her beak. This is breaking my heart.😞
:hugsI'm so sorry!

Hard to know which direction to go. We aren't vets here, just keepers passionate about chickens.

No odor - then consider treating like oral thrush with an anti-fungal or Acidified copper sulfate. Nystatin, Clotrimazole, Miconazole. Paint with Iodine or Gentian Violet?

Odor - then Metronidazole.

I understand, it's taking a chance to treat with any of those options. I will say this, I have used Clotrimazole several times when treating Sour Crop. I know it's not nearly the same issue as your sweet hen, but it is a product I have used before.
Thankfully, I have not had to personally deal with Canker, but many here on BYC have, most had success with this treatment, but some have not.

:hugsI'm so sorry!

Hard to know which direction to go. We aren't vets here, just keepers passionate about chickens.

No odor - then consider treating like oral thrush with an anti-fungal or Acidified copper sulfate. Nystatin, Clotrimazole, Miconazole. Paint with Iodine or Gentian Violet?

Odor - then Metronidazole.

I understand, it's taking a chance to treat with any of those options. I will say this, I have used Clotrimazole several times when treating Sour Crop. I know it's not nearly the same issue as your sweet hen, but it is a product I have used before.
Thankfully, I have not had to personally deal with Canker, but many here on BYC have, most had success with this treatment, but some have not.
Kitty passed away this morning. Her body was just so weak. But even yesterday, she managed to walk to the door and chat with me. I’m going to miss her greatly, she was such good company and so much personality. She is the Light Brahma on the left. Thank you all for the advice and support. @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @Sk8inChick(en)
May 10, 2014 017.JPG

The sore on the side of her mouth looks like it burst, it's bloody, so I'm guessing she scratched it. I put a little betadine on the external part of the sore and rinsed her eye with saline. I have her locked in the coop by herself, the rest are in the run. She looks like she really doesn't feel good. I just gave her one dose of Tylan50 and her first ivermectin treatment (I did 0.2ml on the back of her neck).

Is there anything else I should do at this point?
How often should you use the ivermectin on the back of the neck. I know the dosage, but now how often or how long.

Back
Top Bottom