Severe Wound on Hen from Dog Bite!! HELP PLEASE!!!

amberruments

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2021
About a week ago my hen was bitten by a dog on her lower back. We slushed with with saline and peroxide and sprayed with blue kote and now we just have her sitting in the house in a crate to keep an eye on her. She has been drinking fine and eating a little and walking okay but slowly. I have a sweater on her right now because our main problem was her pecking at her wound. I just want a second opinion whether you think she can survive or now because I don’t want her to suffer more that she has. The picture does not show the full wound but it goes a little more under her feathers. What should I do???Picture

1614762967200.jpeg

i had the same thing happen twice with 2 of my girls, She should be alright!, What i did was i cleaned the site with antibacterial spray then coated the wound in coconut oil then got a large medical gauze pad that cover the wound a taped that around her! Hoping she recovers quickly! Good Luck!

The blu-kote makes it very hard to see, but it appears to be healing. One of the reasons I don't like blu-kote is that it makes it hard to see what the tissue actually looks like. I would stop that and use plain neosporin and apply it 2 or 3 times a day to keep the wound covered and moist. Any feathers that are in the wound area I would trim back with some small scissors. It's usually best to leave the wound open, rather than cover it. Keeping it moist with the ointment may help keep her from wanting to mess with it. I can't see anything that looks like damage from her picking at it, so she may just be trying to clean up the feathers around it, more reason to trim them back. I would only cover it if it's really necessary to get her to leave it alone. Healing can be a slow process while new skin is formed, so be patient. As long as she's eating and drinking, pooping normally and there is no bad smell from the wound, she's doing well.

The blu-kote makes it very hard to see, but it appears to be healing. One of the reasons I don't like blu-kote is that it makes it hard to see what the tissue actually looks like. I would stop that and use plain neosporin and apply it 2 or 3 times a day to keep the wound covered and moist. Any feathers that are in the wound area I would trim back with some small scissors. It's usually best to leave the wound open, rather than cover it. Keeping it moist with the ointment may help keep her from wanting to mess with it. I can't see anything that looks like damage from her picking at it, so she may just be trying to clean up the feathers around it, more reason to trim them back. I would only cover it if it's really necessary to get her to leave it alone. Healing can be a slow process while new skin is formed, so be patient. As long as she's eating and drinking, pooping normally and there is no bad smell from the wound, she's doing well.
Thank you so much!

I also had another question. She is p
So recently I just noticed that there is a strong smell coming from the wound. What does that mean?

Back
Top Bottom