Sevin versus Poultry Dust

tenderkat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Foothills west of Denver
I have begun treatment for a possible mite infestation. Last week, I cleaned out the coop and dusted everything and my girls with Sevin 5% dust. I was a bit concerned with the toxicity, as it is clearly toxic to honey bees.

I will be doing follow-up in the next couple of days, so I have been trying to find something that is a bit easier on the environment. I found a feed store that carries poultry dust and something called Poultry Protector. The poultry dust has permethrin in it, and it doesn't say anything about being toxic to bees. I can't seem to remember what Poultry Protector has in it, but I think the bottle said it was not as toxic?

I am preprared to follow through with the Sevin dust if this is the best way to treat for mites. But, would the Poultyr Dust and Pultry Protector be just as effective?

Quote:
No experience with the products you mention, but I`ve used Sevin all my life. Sevin is safe, even for hens with chicks. A product that is excellent for infestations is Adams Flea and Tick Dip. It is mixed as it says on the label in a 5 gal. bucket and you dip each bird up to the top of the neck. You can smell it on them for about a month (not objectional), so there is no need to re treat in 10 days as with most products. It also contains permethrin, so poultry dust may work almost as good. The good thing about the dip is that it can be sprayed over the whole coop, roosts, nests, run, and all. Many people use DE and claim good results, but I have found it to be totally useless in poultry applications. So there, the observations of an old man. Have fun..........Pop

Quote:
No experience with the products you mention, but I`ve used Sevin all my life. Sevin is safe, even for hens with chicks. A product that is excellent for infestations is Adams Flea and Tick Dip. It is mixed as it says on the label in a 5 gal. bucket and you dip each bird up to the top of the neck. You can smell it on them for about a month (not objectional), so there is no need to re treat in 10 days as with most products. It also contains permethrin, so poultry dust may work almost as good. The good thing about the dip is that it can be sprayed over the whole coop, roosts, nests, run, and all. Many people use DE and claim good results, but I have found it to be totally useless in poultry applications. So there, the observations of an old man. Have fun..........Pop

Quote:

Haven't tried the Adams dip but will do if I do have a heavy infectation of some sort.

For a while I swore DE would work on my birds but it didnt. I found out it was good for ants that was crawling in the house LOL! Didn't have any more ants for a long time, its been three or four years now and its still there on the steps LOL! So I no longer use DE anymore. Sevin works BEST for me.

Back
Top Bottom