Sex- linked Information

I appreciate the follow-up photo. That was post #1570 for those that are interested. I haven’t seen many photos of that cross but it often gives very striking chickens. Yours sure did. She’s a long way from the solid black hen many would expect from that cross.

I have a Buff Rock cockerel that will be my flock master for next year. It’s going to be really interesting to see what chicks I get with my barnyard mix of black and red speckled green egg layers. I know the speckling (mottling) is recessive so I’ll lose that for a generation but I wanted to “lighten up” the overall color of my flock, they were too dark for my preference. I think adding buff will lighten them up for me just fine.

I also appreciate the follow-up pic, she's a beautiful hen! I'll be replenishing my barred rock layers next spring, and I may just keep an eye on CL for someone's Oops Buff Orp cockerel.....I could sure handle having a yard of those pretty ladies
smile.png

Thank you. I would love more too. Sadly the last broody didn't hatch the 3 of this cross that I placed under her. They just failed to live around day 12. Darn...would have loved a few more of these beauties walking around. She is very what I call "street smart" pullet. She was raised alone so she is a bit of a loner, but she is my best and smartest free ranger.

Pretty! but what kind of comb does she have?

Hi. Good question because it's not there. Her comb was either pecked off or scraped off accidentally by the broody hen on day three. Not sure what happened. But she never showed any aggression towards her so I assume it was an accident. My broody is a Blue Orpington and she has HUGE feet. Bigger than my Buff Orp roosters feet and she was dust bathing with baby trying to get under her after hatch so I think it was unintentional. She raised her until she was 6 weeks and then had enough lol

Last edited:
Thank you Kev, I was hoping you'd chime in!

I'll have to catch the rooster some night and check out his foot pads, I've never looked at them. He is "pure", as in from a correct b/b/s breeder, but was culled due to excessive red leakage she didn't want in her breeding program. Red leakage was fine with me, he had strong blue egg gene parents and is splash so fits my criteria perfectly.

I believe some of the chicks were yellow legged, or maybe a funky green. Momma was raising them in a tangle of blackberries and it was hard to see them well. We lost three and got them moved to a secure pen. All the survivors have dark legs (haven't checked pads) and look to be female, so I was hoping I could use this if I did this cross again. Not that I really intend to, I can't see the point of an Ameraucana/Cornish mix, except I can sell them as green egg layers
roll.png

Hm, if there were more than a few yellow/green leggers, then the roo probably is yellow skin carrier.

I had a thought re: red leakage, that is a common result of colored to black chicken crosses but is just as common problem in solid bbs...

I suppose depending on how they turn out- the males could be sold as meaties, hens as layers/setters? I made use of cornish mixes as setters for peafowl eggs.. their meatiness coupled with longer feathers were great for this.

Hi. Good question because it's not there. Her comb was either pecked off or scraped off accidentally by the broody hen on day three. Not sure what happened. But she never showed any aggression towards her so I assume it was an accident. My broody is a Blue Orpington and she has HUGE feet. Bigger than my Buff Orp's feet and she was dust bathing with baby trying to get under her after hatch so I think it was unintentional. She raised her until she was 6 weeks and then had enough lol

Oh an accidental 'dub', poor thing but ultimately it is no issue to her. I was starting to wonder if it was a pea comb.. more than a few times there are claims of paternity but the bird is clearly saying otherwise. so...

She is pretty and appreciated the update also. :)

Oh an accidental 'dub', poor thing but ultimately it is no issue to her. I was starting to wonder if it was a pea comb.. more than a few times there are claims of paternity but the bird is clearly saying otherwise. so...

No problem. I like to show her off. She's a pretty hen...and it makes her look unique. :) She has a tiny little nub of a comb at the front but that's it. lol

Hm, if there were more than a few yellow/green leggers, then the roo probably is yellow skin carrier.

I had a thought re: red leakage, that is a common result of colored to black chicken crosses but is just as common problem in solid bbs...

I suppose depending on how they turn out- the males could be sold as meaties, hens as layers/setters? I made use of cornish mixes as setters for peafowl eggs.. their meatiness coupled with longer feathers were great for this.

I don't really know. She hatched 10, the 7 survivors all have dark legs and I haven't checked foot pads yet. They're about a month old and I do think they're all pullets.

I don't know the genetics of red leakage. I do know the breeder was very disappointed when it showed up on this bird. The pics she had of the rest of her stock were all correctly colored so I'm not sure what happened. I thought it was a good sign she was very adamant about culling him from her breeding flock.

We took a road trip today and I'd been thinking about this hen's comb, also!

I posted earlier in this thread a pic of my chick Ellie who is now 4.5 months. A buff orpington x barred rock cross. :).
Oh she is beautiful! I've seen some other pictures of that cross here on BYC and am waiting for my 'chicks' to grow up a little more. I've got a barred rock and a buff orp who ended up a accidental roo then I'll probably throw my silver laced wyandottes in there for some more sex-links
The less common crosses are always so pretty
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom