Sex- linked Information

So cream legbar is barred.. is it barred enough to make sexlink? Cream legbar hens bred by black copper marans rooster? Should make olive egger sexlink?is it be reliable sexing at hatch?

Yes, that combo will produce olive egger black sexlinks.
Alternatively, a Golden Cuckoo Marans or Welbar roo will create an autosexing olive egger when put over cream legbar pullets.

Thank you. . I wasn't sure if it would be reliable. .since cream legbar hens don't appear that barred..
Any hen with sex-linked barring (includes most any barred or cuckoo breed as well as the *bars, legbars, rhodebars, welbars) will have a single copy of the barring gene and that is key to making a black sexlink. The male parent must not have any barring genes (males can have 0, 1 or 2 copies).

The other "key" is that one parent must have extended black (chicks are colored like penguins, BCM's meet that test) and neither parent can have genes that suppress or dilute the black, so dominant white (white leghorns for ex) or BBS (Andulusian) blue create problems by removing the black and making the head spot not contrast enough to detect reliably.

I've never done the CCL x BCM cross, but I am 100% confident it will produce black sexlinks.

Any hen with sex-linked barring (includes most any barred or cuckoo breed as well as the *bars, legbars, rhodebars, welbars) will have a single copy of the barring gene and that is key to making a black sexlink. The male parent must not have any barring genes (males can have 0, 1 or 2 copies).

The other "key" is that one parent must have extended black (chicks are colored like penguins, BCM's meet that test) and neither parent can have genes that suppress or dilute the black, so dominant white (white leghorns for ex) or BBS (Andulusian) blue create problems by removing the black and making the head spot not contrast enough to detect reliably.

I've never done the CCL x BCM cross, but I am 100% confident it will produce black sexlinks.

Great info thanks. .
Do you think the crest would be dominant?
So pullets would be crested black sexlink ?

Great info thanks. .
Do you think the crest would be dominant?
So pullets would be crested black sexlink ?
In my (limited) experience, the cresting seems to be partially dominant, meaning that a full crested legbar pullet will produce half-crested (or poorly crested) progeny. If she has a poor crest, then half will look like her and the rest no crests at all. I will know more next summer when I get feedback from customers about my 2017 autosexing olive eggers, but for now, that is my best guess re cresting.

I am interested to know what you see with regard to cresting.

In my (limited) experience, the cresting seems to be partially dominant, meaning that a full crested legbar pullet will produce half-crested (or poorly crested) progeny. If she has a poor crest, then half will look like her and the rest no crests at all. I will know more next summer when I get feedback from customers about my 2017 autosexing olive eggers, but for now, that is my best guess re cresting.

I am interested to know what you see with regard to cresting.

Ok. I'll be hatching come spring. . I'll make sure the pullets I put in marans pen will have good crests.. I'll keep ya posted on results. .

Ok. I'll be hatching come spring. . I'll make sure the pullets I put in marans pen will have good crests.. I'll keep ya posted on results. .
There is a thread on legbar hybrids, some of the people there might have a more definitive answer about the heritability of cresting in hybrids.

[/IMG]

I was wondering if anyone could help me. Is this a black sex link and is it a male or female? Sorry for the bad pictures. It is 11 weeks old of that helps. Someone else thought it was a Rooster and not a black sex link I just wanted multiple opinions. It has a good size comb but I know sex links age fast.

[/IMG]

I was wondering if anyone could help me. Is this a black sex link and is it a male or female? Sorry for the bad pictures. It is 11 weeks old of that helps. Someone else thought it was a Rooster and not a black sex link I just wanted multiple opinions. It has a good size comb but I know sex links age fast.

That is a cockerel, and most certainly cannot be a Black Sex Link. He's a regular mixed breed.

Back
Top Bottom