Sex- linked Information

White skin is not sexlinked at all. It's dominant. No matter which parent has white skin, a copy will be passed to all chicks, regardless of gender.

Sorry, said it wrong.
smile.png

I apologize if this has been addressed before, as I did not have time to read all 250+ pages of this thread.

I have an autosexing breed, Crested Cream Legbar. How well does that autosexing carry over in hybrid chicks? I have heard varying things.

I have Crested Cream Legbar hens in with a Black Copper Marans rooster. If I read correctly, this will produce black sexlink chicks. I believe there will also be enough carryover from each breed's individual genetic eccentricities that the chicks should have some leg feathering and a small crest. Am I right?

I apologize if this has been addressed before, as I did not have time to read all 250+ pages of this thread.

I have an autosexing breed, Crested Cream Legbar. How well does that autosexing carry over in hybrid chicks? I have heard varying things.

I have Crested Cream Legbar hens in with a Black Copper Marans rooster. If I read correctly, this will produce black sexlink chicks. I believe there will also be enough carryover from each breed's individual genetic eccentricities that the chicks should have some leg feathering and a small crest. Am I right?
Autosexing does not carry to mixed breed offspring. The hens can be used to produce black sexlinks though. White skin, crests, and feathering on the legs should carry over to all offspring, provided the parents are pure for those traits.

I did a blue cuckoo Marans over a Sapphire (CCL over white leghorn) and retained the traits you asked about. Crest and leg feathering...

Autosexing does not carry to mixed breed offspring. The hens can be used to produce black sexlinks though. White skin, crests, and feathering on the legs should carry over to all offspring, provided the parents are pure for those traits.
Autosexing can carry to mixed breed offspring, but not in this case. I have autosexing Olive Eggers that will breed true for autosexing (but not for the blue egg gene). The trick is that both parent breeds must be autosexing. In my case, I'm using Cream Legbar pullets and a Welbar cockerel. I have not raised any to POL yet, but they are definitely all autosexing and seem to have some hybrid vigor as well.

Okay, so, it's a long shot, but does anyone know where Crested Cream Legbars and Black Copper Marans fit on the slow/fast feathering chart? I have both a BCM over CCL and vice versa, and I know only the former is sex-linked, so I'm wondering about the feasibility of feather sexing.

Okay, so, it's a long shot, but does anyone know where Crested Cream Legbars and Black Copper Marans fit on the slow/fast feathering chart? I have both a BCM over CCL and vice versa, and I know only the former is sex-linked, so I'm wondering about the feasibility of feather sexing.
Very doubtful that the feather sexing will be possible. For feather sexing, you need a hen that is pure for slow feathering and you need a rooster that is pure for fast feathering. And you have to be absolutely certain that they are pure for the correct feathering genes.

I did the same cross only it was Blue Copper Marans rooster.
I got 2 pullets, both are black with few red feathers around the neck. Both are crested and have leg feathers.

Back
Top Bottom