Sex- linked Information

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but just to make sure. I have a two week old chick that's crossed with a Buff Orpington X Easter Egger rooster and a barred rock hen. The chick is back with some white and a big white spot on its head. it has barred feathers coming in. I'm pretty sure it's a male. Would you think so?

I crossed a Blue Splash Marans rooster with a Cream Legbar hen. Resulting chicks are all blue - none have a distinguished spot on their head. I can’t be lucky enough to have all females...Am I wrong thinking this cross would produce sex-linked chicks??

I crossed a Blue Splash Marans rooster with a Cream Legbar hen. Resulting chicks are all blue - none have a distinguished spot on their head. I can’t be lucky enough to have all females...Am I wrong thinking this cross would produce sex-linked chicks??
They are sexlinked chicks. The trouble I have with blue in sexlinked hybrids is that the blue fades the black enough to make the head spot indistinct. I would wait a week and look for barring on the feathers. Any chicks with barring are males for sure, and those that are free of barring are females. However, even the barring is less distinct with blues, so be sure you are not just missing the barring because you want to think it is a female.

They are sexlinked chicks. The trouble I have with blue in sexlinked hybrids is that the blue fades the black enough to make the head spot indistinct. I would wait a week and look for barring on the feathers. Any chicks with barring are males for sure, and those that are free of barring are females. However, even the barring is less distinct with blues, so be sure you are not just missing the barring because you want to think it is a female.
Thanks for the info. I was hoping to offer them sexed as day old chicks. Sounds like I may have to scrap that idea. Interesting that the blue disguised the head spot.🤔 Would the head spot be the only distinguishing factor? I noticed some have more yellow on their necks. Some also have white on their chest, while others have darker yellow chests.

You can see the 3rd chick has more visible yellow on its neck. It also has a very tiny white dot on the top of its head if you look closely.

Attachments

• E8DD605A-FFD5-4069-AC7C-73EA48D0BDCF.jpeg
    E8DD605A-FFD5-4069-AC7C-73EA48D0BDCF.jpeg
    483.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 97BF0D35-89E8-4D9F-84DF-564290D8B973.jpeg
    97BF0D35-89E8-4D9F-84DF-564290D8B973.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 5
  • A537FDBF-97CE-4139-B980-88071303668B.jpeg
    A537FDBF-97CE-4139-B980-88071303668B.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 24455A8F-7E7F-49D6-B91F-357D5893F8C4.jpeg
    24455A8F-7E7F-49D6-B91F-357D5893F8C4.jpeg
    325.3 KB · Views: 5
I noticed some have more yellow on their necks. Some also have white on their chest, while others have darker yellow chests.
The Cream Legbar hen is based on gold. The Marans rooster could be silver, gold, or split. That part doesn't matter. Silver is dominant over gold and those are sex linked genes. The hen has the recessive gene, she cannot override what the male has, whatever that is. Any differences in the white-yellow you are seeing is not something that can be used to sex the chicks based on the silver-gold genes.

There might be some other sex linked genet that could be used but I'm not aware of one. Leg color maybe but I don't think so, I am no expert on leg color genetics. My guess is that the differences are based on certain genetics where one or both parents are split for certain genes and those are randomly handed down. There are a lot of different genes that affect down or feather color, most are not sex linked.

What sex-link (or continued breeding towards autosexing) options are available with the following breeds:

BBS marans
BBS Australorp
Isabella Leghorn
Cream legbar
Opal Legbar
Silver Bielefelder
Isabel Ameraucanas
Speckled sussex
Red orpington
55 Flowery
Welsummer

Back