Sex- linked Information

You are not crossing a Buff Orp Rooster with a Delaware. You are crossing a mixed Silkie/Buff Orp rooster with a Delaware. What genetics is the Silkie part of that rooster contributing?

If the mixed rooster is red, there is a chance you will get red sex link chicks from that cross. There are no guarantees but it might work.

You are not crossing a Buff Orp Rooster with a Delaware. You are crossing a mixed Silkie/Buff Orp rooster with a Delaware. What genetics is the Silkie part of that rooster contributing?

If the mixed rooster is red, there is a chance you will get red sex link chicks from that cross. There are no guarantees but it might work.

The rooster is red.

LL

Totally off topic, but this pic is beautiful! And not helping my "no-hatching-until-summer" issues at all--they're adorable!

I hatched these chicks out for a friend. This picture was taken in a clear tote they were taking the chicks home in.

Do BSL's typically lay as well as RSL's? My little red hen lays almost every day. I know someone with BSL's for sale.

There is no genetic connection to anything that makes a chicken a sex link and egg laying ability. How well they lay is dependent on how well the parents lay, not if they are sex links or not. For example, if you cross a Speckled Sussex rooster over a Cuckoo Marans hen you will get a black sex link. The pullets from this match will lay according to the laying ability of the parent flocks. If you cross a Cuckoo Marans rooster over a Speckled Sussex hen from the same flocks you will not get sex links but they will lay about the same as the sex links.

Where did those bsl’s come from? Most sex links, black or red, that come from hatcheries come from flocks that lay pretty well. If those came from a hatchery I’d expect them to lay well. If someone made them from their backyard flock, how well does that flock lay?

Back
Top Bottom