Sex- linked Information

The only possible sex links would be the black daughters out of BCM roo and CCL hen and BCM over the cuckoo marans. No head spot. But if you have non-cuckoo marans hens then this is not much help either as this will throw non-barred males...

The other possibility could be the ones with large head spot on males pure for barring- CCL roo over the cuckoo hens.

If your marans are reliable for leg feathering, it may be possible to guess the chicks with sparser or no leg feathering to be the CCL crosses. However, crosses can throw some with the same amount of leg feathering or if the marans are known to throw some sparse/clean legs, then that is not much help.

Some of the CCL cross should show a hint of crest but it may only become more visible later.

If you are sure that the eggs are from Coronation Sussex and that the father is Speckled Sussex, the chicks are sex linked.
As I understand it
It's the same as if the moms were light sussex except that the chicks are split for the lavender gene

Yep, I am sure they are from the CS girls. I set another batch after this and made 100% certain that other eggs ended up in there and I ended up with 3 yellow and 6 red chicks this time.

I agree they should be sex links if they are pure. The Coronation hen has silver and the SS gold and it will clearly show up in the down.

I did some internet searching on whether the blue or lavender gene is used for Coronation. It appears both are, which somehow doesn’t surprise me.

The Lavender gene is a recessive gene that affects black, so in that cross would not show up in the first generation.

The blue gene is another gene that affects black but it is really confusing to some. Two copies and you have Splash, one copy blue, and no copies black. So if that Coronation is based on Blue instead of Lavender, half the chicks from that cross should have blue and half black.

Yay! Glad to know what I am getting now, I think. I hope it doesn't mean I am going to get stuck with a bunch of roosters LOL. Maybe straight run was better
tongue.png

okay, I believe I have created sexlinks? My roo is a Speckled Sussex and I own 3 Coronation Sussex. Last hatch I got one odd colored chick I didn't expect (didn't realize my CS were laying yet, all other chicks were chipmunked as they were SS or SS/CLB) and just thought I accidentally set a RSL egg hence the white/yellow chick. This odd chick was yellow with a black line on the back of the head and a tiny bit of color that started to show in the wing tips in a couple days. Someone on here told me it should make a sexlink but I was expecting solid yellow males and light red females. Anyhow this is what that chick currently looks like at 2 weeks old

well this time I got this!

The little yellow chick has the same dark line on it's head as the chick before when it hatched. The red ones also have the same line but in a dark brown. So does this mean they are a sexlink? I would hate to advertise them as such locally or give to family/friends telling them the reds are girls and they aren't
tongue.png

Thank you!! Thats what I thought..so I guess my issue is..holy cow Im getting all roosters!! 9 hatched so far out of marans and CCl hen eggs all have a white spot of some size;( good grief...

As before I have a Speckled Sussex rooster. I also have a Dominique hen and a barred EE hen (marked just like the Dominique but lays green eggs and has a cushion comb). They give me black chicks and black chicks with yellow head dots. Those are also sex links correct? Yellow dot roos, no dots pullets?

Hi Kev---I have a pen with a BR-R , 6 WR-H and 5 BR-H --Will I be able to tell the difference -at Hatch-Between the Males-or later. Same for the females? Thanks

Hi Kev---I have a pen with a BR-R , 6 WR-H and 5 BR-H --Will I be able to tell the difference -at Hatch-Between the Males-or later. Same for the females? Thanks

Quick question for the experts-Please see above-Tks

No, because the male is barred and non-gold, you will not get sex-linked chicks. If you replace the roo with a non-barred variety (like RIR or NH), then the eggs from the BR hens will make black sex link chicks.

Thanks for reply-Sorry I guess I should have explained myself better--not interested in making a sex link- not traditional-( that is in my other pen 2-1 RR-R and 9 BR-H) but would like to identify using sex link if possible . This is my meat pen ( pen 1) and I have two goals-1) getting a large Meat Male 2) Keeping the BR-R and BR -H cross for pen 2. The BR-R in pen 1 is 2 barred --WR-H came from a hatchery-BR-H is Barred.. I would like to identify the Roosters early so I can caponize some at 3-6 wks. to see if it makes a difference. And I would like to keep the BR-R and the BR-H cross for pen 2 and not the BR-Rand the WR-H cross. Thanks

The male chicks from the BR hens will be double barred, so you can sex them by lighter colors vs the hens. The roos from the WR hens will be single barred. IDK if the WR is dominant or recessive white and that makes a difference. If dominant, you will be able to tell those chicks easily because they will be yellow with some black markings, not black backs like the BR (from the ER chick down trait). If the white is recessive, all the chicks from the WR hens will be single barred black, males will look like the BR pullet chicks.

Since they are all single combed, you can likely sex them by comb growth in the timeframe for caponizing.

Back
Top Bottom