Sex- linked Information

The barred rock cockerel should be pure for the barred gene and give a copy od barring to all his offspring. Since it is dominant all his offspring, male and female, will be barred. Definitely not sex-linked.

A whole lot of different roosters could be used to make a black sex link pullet with a barred mother so the genes that make up the color can be pretty mixed. They are certainly unknown. There are also different genetic ways to make black. The odds are extremely high your chicks will be either black barred or black barred with some red leakage (a few red feathers showing through), but weird things can happen when you use a crossbreed like that black sex link pullet. You can get some surprises, either in the chick down color or the adult feathering. So expect black chicks but don’t be shocked if something strange happens to some.

Thank youuuuu :)

Blue leg, white leg Sex-links. Vorwerk x hen.

Pure Vorwerk, crossing with this not a pure breed hen:

Offsprings:

Hens with blue legs.

Roosters with white legs.

Last edited:
Blue leg, white leg Sex-links. Vorwerk x hen.

Pure Vorwerk, crossing with this not a pure breed hen:

Offsprings:

Hens with blue legs.

Roosters with white legs.

I tried this with a slate legged Ameraucana cock over a dark Cornish (yellow shanked) hen and it didn't carry over
hmm.png
. I was pretty disappointed, not sure what the difference was. I'm thinking because the Ameraucana actually has white skin? Does the Vorwerk, or is it's actual skin dark?

I tried this with a slate legged Ameraucana cock over a dark Cornish (yellow shanked) hen and it didn't carry over
hmm.png
. I was pretty disappointed, not sure what the difference was. I'm thinking because the Ameraucana actually has white skin? Does the Vorwerk, or is it's actual skin dark?
I did get leg color sexing with my slate leg EE roo x willow legged Pioneer. All her dtrs had the willow legs, while her sons had yellow legs. (All of my male Pioneers from the previous season had yellow legs, and all of the females had willow colored legs) I have one cockrel who has slate legs, but am guessing that he may actually be an EE x EE bird.

Anybody know if BSL pullets created using Black male x Barred hen would have any phenotypical white leakage in the plumage? I'm trying to figure out if it would be possibly to produce sex linked birds that could be shown. Obviously only the females would be a pure color, but all the same. I've got a Sex Linked Silkie project in the works, mostly I'll be marketing birds for pet uses but I know there are some people out there who might be interested in showing but not able to keep a cockerel in their area. Based on my knowledge of genetics and the chicken calculator I'm thinking they wouldn't have any leakage, but I wanted to double check with all y'all.

Anybody know if BSL pullets created using Black male x Barred hen would have any phenotypical white leakage in the plumage? I'm trying to figure out if it would be possibly to produce sex linked birds that could be shown. Obviously only the females would be a pure color, but all the same. I've got a Sex Linked Silkie project in the works, mostly I'll be marketing birds for pet uses but I know there are some people out there who might be interested in showing but not able to keep a cockerel in their area. Based on my knowledge of genetics and the chicken calculator I'm thinking they wouldn't have any leakage, but I wanted to double check with all y'all.

Not sure, but one of my black sexlink Easter Egger pullets turned out to be solid black. She could pass for a black Ameraucana if the bottoms of her feet weren't yellow. You can never be sure what a non-typical sexlink will look like till you try it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom