Sex- linked Information

How about a Legbar male over Delaware hen. Wouldn't that be both red sex link and autosexing? Or would Legbar over Silver barred duckwing be a better choice Hmmm...

Last edited:
I have been following this thread for sometime and plan to try getting some SL chicks come spring. I have 2 Delaware hens in my flock and just attained some RIR roosters. I hope to get some Barred rock hen too.

I have been hatching with a rooster who is a mix of RIR/buff Orpington and the hen delawares, buff Orpington, RSL and RIR/buff Orpington mix. I did notice that most of the chicks that hatched out buff/brown ended up as hens and the white ones roosters. Does that mean the mixed rooster and Delaware hens could have been giving the sex link chicks?
Can a buff Orpington hen give sex links with a RIR rooster?

Your mixed rooster over the Delaware hens will give you sex links. The Orpington hens will not.

Some of the other hens could give you chick that look like they could be sex links but they are not. That’s one of the problems hatching eggs from a group of hens like that, if you don’t know which hen laid the egg you don’t know if it is a sex link or not.

We've got chipmunk looking chicks from Cream Legbar hen and Silver Laced Wyandotte roo cross.
They were silver looking "chipmunks", not brownish-reddish.
I read here in the forum about CLB sexlinks that they had male chiks looking silverish and female looking brownish-red chipmunks, but the parents were reversed, CLB was a roo, and SLW was a hen.
Could it possibly mean that our silver looking chipmunks are hens?
The older one is almost 7 wks now (most of pictures are of it) and the other one is almost 6 weeks (last picture):
Forum%20Princess3%20Nov9.jpg

Forum%20Princess1%20Nov9.jpg

Forum%20Princess%20Nov9.jpg

Forum%20Princess2%20Nov9.jpg

Forum%20Princess4%20Nov9.jpg

Forum%20Princess%20Nov18.jpg

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
We've got chipmunk looking chicks from Cream Legbar hen and Silver Laced Wyandotte roo cross.
I read here in the forum about CLB sexlinks that they had male chiks looking silverish and female looking brownish-red chipmunks, but the parents were reversed, CLB was a roo, and SLW was a hen.
The older one is almost 7 wks now (most of pictures are of it) and the other one is almost 6 weeks (last picture):
If your hens are Legbars in this cross, then you have "black sexlinks", even if the birds are not black. That simply means that only the male offspring will show any barring, the females will not. That shows as a white head spot when first hatched, but that is often hard to distinguish in certain crosses. It should be apparent at the age of your chicks which ones have barring, as any black feathers will show that.
That means the first one is a pullet, but the second one is hard to tell for certain. Check out it's feathers and post a close up if you still aren't sure.

Forum%20Princess3%20Nov9.jpg

Forum%20Princess1%20Nov9.jpg

Forum%20Princess%20Nov9.jpg

Forum%20Princess2%20Nov9.jpg

Forum%20Princess4%20Nov9.jpg

Forum%20Princess%20Nov18.jpg

Thank you very much!
Silver Laced Hen to Cream Legbar rooster would produce red sexlinks. Silver Laced Rooster to Cream Legbar hen would produce non-typical black sexlinks. Both are lacking barring, so both chicks are female.

Back
Top Bottom