Sex- linked Information

Hmm. this thread is fascinating even tho a lot of it goes over my head... been trying to learn tho! :)

So, am I correct in my understanding by assuming, hypothetically, that I could cross our easter egger roo (has a predominantly black and gold coloration, from ideal poultry stock, see pic below) over dominique hens and have black sexlinked chicks?

probably decent, efficient little layers too i would imagine...? what would the eggs look like--green/olive colored? would any of the chicks also inherit the earmuffs and/or beards, grey shanks, etc from the sire??

This could be a cool cross to do if so! And he's a nice rooster in every way, and came from rapid-maturing, vigorous, productive stock so that seems like a valuable contribution in its own right to a hybrid layer....

Hmm. this thread is fascinating even tho a lot of it goes over my head... been trying to learn tho!
smile.png

So, am I correct in my understanding by assuming, hypothetically, that I could cross our easter egger roo (has a predominantly black and gold coloration, from ideal poultry stock, see pic below) over dominique hens and have black sexlinked chicks?

probably decent, efficient little layers too i would imagine...? what would the eggs look like--green/olive colored? would any of the chicks also inherit the earmuffs and/or beards, grey shanks, etc from the sire??

This could be a cool cross to do if so! And he's a nice rooster in every way, and came from rapid-maturing, vigorous, productive stock so that seems like a valuable contribution in its own right to a hybrid layer....
He'll work for black sexlinks. Eggs should be shades of green, but blue or plain brown are also possibilities.

Hmm. this thread is fascinating even tho a lot of it goes over my head... been trying to learn tho!
smile.png

I think you'll be very happy with that cross.

You'll likely get green egger pullets, but with an EE father, shades of brown, etc are possible. Part of the fun, seeing what color everyone lays!

With my EE, beards and muffs seem to be kind of partially dominant. I don't know the exact genetics behind them, most first generation chicks seem to get a decent beard/muffs, but it can vary. So, I say partially dominant. Again, part of the fun. Mixing rose combs and pea combs will give you cushion type combs. they should be decent enough layers, especially if mommas are good layers. Dominiques aren't large birds so the cockerels may not be great table birds, but you can still eat them.

Back
Top Bottom