Sex- linked Information

Orpingtons don't have a reputation for being stellar layers, and they do tend to go broody. that may well be what your person was thinking, when saying the cross would be useless.

but, you know your particular birds and goals. If your Orpingtons have the traits you want to pass on, by all means.

I find most backyard folks I sell to aren't very fanatical about how many eggs per week they get. I mean, they have birds for eggs and want to get a decent amount, but they're just as happy with 5/week as they would be with 7. Getting a guaranteed pullet is more important to most of them. Add in pretty and friendly and you'll have a nice little market, if that's your goal.

Something to keep in mind is that there can also be big differences between the productivity of show and production lines. I would think the production lines would give you more productive crosses too.

Orpingtons don't have a reputation for being stellar layers, and they do tend to go broody. that may well be what your person was thinking, when saying the cross would be useless.

but, you know your particular birds and goals. If your Orpingtons have the traits you want to pass on, by all means.

I find most backyard folks I sell to aren't very fanatical about how many eggs per week they get. I mean, they have birds for eggs and want to get a decent amount, but they're just as happy with 5/week as they would be with 7. Getting a guaranteed pullet is more important to most of them. Add in pretty and friendly and you'll have a nice little market, if that's your goal.
I agree, Most people end up with more eggs than they can use anyways and just enjoy having a few chickens. Pretty and tame are a plus, add in colorful eggs for the win.

That's what I was thinking, that guaranteed pullets will be my selling point, and good layers a plus. I really want to see what they look like from the heritage Rocks, too. It's just kind of a pet project. Hope to sell enough chicks to cover feed, which should be feasible since I ferment.

Are Bielefelder considered Barred or autosomal barred for purposes of using a hen for producing sex linked chicks?
they are barred. But, since they don't have extended black, the head spot may be tricky to see, depending on what rooster you use. The extended black is what makes for the clearest, easiest sexing at hatch.

Heritage Rhode Island Red over Bielefelder. Here are the two resulting chick patterns. I believe the darker would be pullet.

Cute! Are there distinct spots on the heads? It's kind of hard to see in the photo... But even if not that disruption of the stripe on the assumed males still makes for pretty easy color sexing...

Back
Top Bottom