Sex- linked Information

re black sex link grid: What would happen if you used a different colored barred - like a female lemon cuckoo. Would you still be able to distinguish males from females? Or would the colors be too similar?

Depends what she was bred to.
Black sex links can be many different birds on either side the key is it has to produce a pattern that the head spot is easy to see on the males.

Dominant CZ has also multiple types of RSL chickens.
Using white rock, columbian rock, RIR, rhodebar, cream legbar etc.
When breeding with goal, any goal there is nothing easier then breeding for a sex link.
I'm not a fan of sex links. I like birds that breed true or projects that will end with breeding true.
Auto sexing is hands down the way to go IMO if sexing at hatch is important.

re black sex link grid: What would happen if you used a different colored barred - like a female lemon cuckoo. Would you still be able to distinguish males from females? Or would the colors be too similar?

Depends what she was bred to.
Black sex links can be many different birds on either side the key is it has to produce a pattern that the head spot is easy to see on the males.

For example, if your female is a lemon cuckoo and you cross her with a partridge rock and also a buff Orp, what would be the base co!or(s) of the offspring? Brown and gold?

With a buff crossed with cuckoo buff its gonna be hard to see the head spot. May have to wait for wings to grow out.
Partridge probably won't be much better.
Of course the darker the better so buff chicks isn't ideal.

Blue Wheaten Ameraucana X Barred Rock Hen? = Black Sex Link?
(Just wondering if it would do so consistently.)

The reason I ask this is I got this gal from this mix - She has slate legs.
20180818_083059.jpg

Blue Wheaten Ameraucana X Barred Rock Hen? = Black Sex Link?
(Just wondering if it would do so consistently.)

The reason I ask this is I got this gal from this mix - She has slate legs.View attachment 1649583
Yes, you will always get black sexlinks. If the chicks are blue, the contrast with the white head spot is much lower, making them much harder to sex than the black chicks.

Back
Top Bottom