Sex-links question

Gerry2011

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
NW Arkansas
Got to talking to other sex-link raisers and the question came up as to when did this particular type breeding come about? Undoubtedly it has been occurring since there were 2 different colors of chickens, but as a commercially produced brred.

Research on sex linkage started in second decade of the 1900s (1917-1919) and in the 1920's. The earliest research started in the United Kingdom and caught on with the research extensions of universities in the USA in the 20's. I do not know when sex linkage started commercially but it was most likely soon after the universities came out with their studies. I am sure breeders knew about the occurrence before the science world started working on the genetics. My guess would be in the 1930s.

An autosexing breed was produced as early as 1930 and more were produced in the 30s but that was in the United Kingdom. It did not catch on in the USA-only a few breeds were produced in the USA- the ancobar was produced in the USA .

Tim

Last edited:
tadkerson, thanks for the info. I don't recall seeing these in the catalogs in the '70s, but that might have been due to my "tunnel vision". Maybe I should direct my question to a hatchery. This is just an idle curiosity thing, but then I my mind has always wondered about the odds and ends of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom