Pip Rothwell

Hatching
Apr 14, 2020
Hi guys
Hatched my first ever batch 4 weeks ago and currently have what I believe are:
Male Italian
Male English White
2x Female Falbfee

I'm just having trouble sexing this last one, which I'm told is a Roux over Pharoah
Can anyone tell by the markings ?
I'm aware if another Male then I need to be on the look out for some more female ...

Attachments

• IMG_20200511_113326.jpg
    IMG_20200511_113326.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
By 6 weeks, you’ll begin to hear crowing, maybe sooner. At sexual maturity -also around crowing age- you should be able to see foam at vent area if male.

By 6 weeks, you’ll begin to hear crowing, maybe sooner. At sexual maturity -also around crowing age- you should be able to see foam at vent area if male.

Hi there
Thanks for your reply - yes, the crowing is how I was able to sex the English white.
Was just wondering if anyone could tell by the feathering on this last one as there appears to be a shortage of hens in my area so I know I need to start looking asap...

Hi there
Thanks for your reply - yes, the crowing is how I was able to sex the English white.
Was just wondering if anyone could tell by the feathering on this last one as there appears to be a shortage of hens in my area so I know I need to start looking asap...

the only coloring on quail that I’m familiar with is some varieties will show a red feathered chest, but that isn’t the case here and may not apply to this coloring. Where are you located? You can get eggs shipped to hatch more. Are you growing for meat or eggs or both?

the only coloring on quail that I’m familiar with is some varieties will show a red feathered chest, but that isn’t the case here and may not apply to this coloring. Where are you located? You can get eggs shipped to hatch more. Are you growing for meat or eggs or both?
[/QUOTE

I'm on the isle of sheppey in Kent.
Breeding largely for eggs atm.
I was considering another batch of eggs but well aware we could end up in a similar quandary with the numbers...

This is a fair point, and always what we planned to do with excess males once we were happy with the size of our flock, so more eggs may be the answer right now...

Back
Top Bottom