Sexing adult duck

newchickmom87

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2016
Hey everyone I just rescued an adult Peking duck. I have no clue how to tell how old he/she is. And I was wondering what sex it is. My gut tells me a female due to lack of drake feather on her tail but maybe it's just laying down? Also need advise on how to get her to trust us. Anytime we go near her she lowers her body and starts huffing and almost hisses at us. And god forbid we get close she runs and frantically looks for a way out. We are keeping her in one of our larger brooder boxes while it's in quarantine. Any help would be great thanks!

Last edited:
Does she quack yet? or sound raspy like it swallowed a frog?

If you haven't noticed, pick her up and that should make her quack or make raspy sounds. quacking - girl, sounds like has a frog stuck in her throat... boy

She is so cute.....nice of you to rescue her......:)

If it clearly quacks and loud....Its a Hen....Raspy like it has a cold , it's a Drake....

To tame the Duck......Time and patience....Treats and getting it used to your voice and a routine will help....I rescued one last summer and she was terrified.....She only took a few days to see my other Ducks enjoying my presence that she calmed right down and would come and eat treats I tossed on the ground......Today she will come right up to me....I do not touch my Ducks, only if I have too?

Best wishes....

Cheers!

Ive heard her do actual quacks! But not when I go near her lol. It's not as loud as I would've thought but it does sound like a normal duck sound. (This is my first duck lol) I hope that means it's a girl cus now she can stay! She'll be mixed in with my adult chickens in a few weeks and they're all super friendly so hopefully that means she'll come around soon :) thanks!

Last edited:
Ive heard her do actual quacks! But not when I go near her lol. It's not as loud as I would've thought but it does sound like a normal duck sound. (This is my first duck lol) I hope that means it's a girl cus now she can stay! She'll be mixed in with my adult chickens in a few weeks and they're all super friendly so hopefully that means she'll come around soon
smile.png
thanks!
And maybe you can rescue her a girl friend ducks really like the company of other ducks. She is a cutie.

We are actually getting 4 ducklings Delivered Tuesday so she'll have little ones to look after. After they get bigger of course :)

Back
Top Bottom