sexing baby chicks by laying them on their backs???

can you do this with 1 week olds?
idunno.gif

Quote:
Its the oppisite. One smooth row is a cockerel and two rows is a pullet. This is how the hatcheries do it. Its the easiest way and 100% accurate. Goodluck, -Jay

Yeah, then the hatchery that sent mine (via the feed store) must employ children too young to count - I got two roos out of what was supposed to be 15 pullets, now the boys are de-feathering the hens' backs.
barnie.gif
Need a home for one - what a pain!!!! Good thing to know for the future - does this apply to all breeds?? My "RIR" flock turned out (besides the roo mess-up) to be gold sex links, not RIRs!! Good thing they turned out to be egg-laying machines!!
clap.gif

Quote:
Its the oppisite. One smooth row is a cockerel and two rows is a pullet. This is how the hatcheries do it. Its the easiest way and 100% accurate. Goodluck, -Jay

But for a silkie, the feather method wouldn't work, I guess I'll have to try the laying on back method after mine hatch.

I tried the wing sexing.
All were uneven, pullets.
So I tried this - on your back - thing.
Again, all are supposed to be pullets.
So, I'll wait and she what the turn out to be.
It's 7 speckled sussex, 9 days old.
It will be interesting.
Ruth

Just throwing this out there, even though this thread is pretty old

I just went to a local hatchery and the woman there picked from sight what she thought were girls, then she held them on their backs. The ones that just laid there calmly, she said were pullets. The roos kicked and squirmed. I've confirmed that they do this consistently. The chicks I got were 1, 2, and 3 weeks old, three different breeds. I can report back in a few months as to whether she was right! She claimed a 90% success rate.

That is ridiculous! I sent My husband to our feed store for 10 pullets and he brought home 5 Easter egger chicks sexed that way and we got 4 roos! Sexing by color, feathers and vent are the only safe way.u

Just throwing this out there, even though this thread is pretty old

I just went to a local hatchery and the woman there picked from sight what she thought were girls, then she held them on their backs. The ones that just laid there calmly, she said were pullets. The roos kicked and squirmed. I've confirmed that they do this consistently. The chicks I got were 1, 2, and 3 weeks old, three different breeds. I can report back in a few months as to whether she was right! She claimed a 90% success rate.
What'd it turn out like??

@banjomoon

It'd be interesting to see how it turned out.

Thanks

MW

Back
Top Bottom