sexing baby chicks by laying them on their backs???

goosecrane

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
a guy at the feed store was showing everyone in the store, that was looking at the baby chicks thay had to sell, how to sex chicks. he said to lay them on their back in the palm of your hand. if the chick just sorta lays there like its asleep, its a pullet. if the chick will not lay there, it is a rooster. is there any truth to this?

wow, never heard of that one! maybe someone else has
hu.gif

There are many old remedies for sexing chicks. That is one that we use quite often and with about a 90% accuracy. There is also the wing feathers which I believe is one row of feathers is a pullet and two rows is a cockeral (I could be backwards on that). Shape of the head and so on.

I tried it last year and had very good luck with it..or maybe it was just that...luck!

Out of 12 straight run chicks, I wanted 1 roo, ended up with 2 out of 12 all the rest were pullets!

I decided to test this at the feed store, they had a bin of boys and a bin of girls. Sure enough, the boys had a fit, girls cool as cucumbers!

Wow, I just heard that last night at the feed store. the woman said an old chicken farmer told her that if you held a chick in the palm of your hand on its back and it laid there calm and with its legs held tight against its body it was a pullet. if it stretched out one leg it was a roo. we only wanted one bantie but they only sold them straight run. she flopped the one we wanted over and it held its legs in and was calm. she picked up another and it was calm but stretched one leg straight out. she said that was a roo. I can't wait to test this theory. it should take a few months I'm thinkin
wink.png

picked up last night:
2 Cuckoo Marans
2 Delaware's
2 Araucana's
1 bantie (breed, sex unknown) we think it could be a Buff Brahma.
still wanted-- silkie banties and Salmon Faverolles

Back
Top Bottom