Sexing Barred Rocks

Pics
Oh good! Sometimes just when you think you know what you have coloring changes and you start to rethink what you have.

Gender opinion? This is 1 of 4 and the only one with this much red in the comb/wattle area. Has always been the curious one to run up to me at the browser and coop doors. Very curious and seems to love seeing me
1f601.png

Gender opinion? This is 1 of 4 and the only one with this much red in the comb/wattle area. Has always been the curious one to run up to me at the browser and coop doors. Very curious and seems to love seeing me
1f601.png

I would guess pullet but the feet coloring would have me think twice but some chickens are known to develop a little faster than the others.

Looks like a pullet to me and that behavior is how all my brs have been! I just love their curiosity!

1f601.png

I have two Barred Rocks about 3 weeks old. One of them (Marble) is light and more fuzzy. The wings are shorter and rounder. There is no tail feather. The other (Betty) has longer pointer wings and a tail feather. Also the feathers are coming in more. Here are some pictures. The one with the blue tape on the towel is Betty. Any thoughts on if they are both Pullets? (fingers crossed)

This is Marble he/she has no tail feather and shorter wings much more fuzzy

This is Betty longer wings and has a tail feather

Last edited:
Sorry to say it, but I believe Mabel is a rooster. Still a little hard to tell from the pics though. Do you see any pink/red coming in on the comb on either?

Sorry to say it, but I believe Mabel is a rooster. Still a little hard to tell from the pics though. Do you see any pink/red coming in on the comb on either?

No pink or red yet. Just a yellowish color. I also notice Marble is much more friendly. He/she jumped up on my arm and perched. Betty is a bit skittish at first. Also, and you can see in the pictures, when you set Betty down she/he sits automatically and Marble stands and moves around.

Last edited:
I would say both pullets at three weeks this is was what my barred rocks looked like. Male on the right. There is a big difference in color and feet size. The male has double barring so will be lighter in color.

I ended up with 4 roos and 2 hens.  Spaz, Bubble, No No, and Punkin were all roosters.  Sweetie and Blue stayed with us for a little while, but then those two and my previous BR started getting aggressive towards my other hens and blocking them from the nest boxes.  They found a new home.  Bubble ended up with a friend and the other 3 roos became dinner, they were evil to my hens.

So sweetie and blue were both hens

Back
Top Bottom