Sexing Barred Rocks

Pics
Can anyone sex mine? I've started a forum but I'm hoping to get more answers! Everyone is saying such different things and exceptions that I think I might just have to wait and see what they are later! Thoughts??

I would say pullets however it may still be to early

First picture is Pickles, second is Fefe...about 15 weeks old I am thinking Pullet any other opinions? Fefe is quite a bit smaller than Pickles, but has had more comb and wattle development earlier on!

Hello, I am new here and hoping that someone will please help me out. I'd recently ordered, and adopted 3 barred rock chickens. I could see that they were still quite young , all ready & boxed up for me to take home (very exciting!). Anyhow....they're home now, and I am posting a few photos by which I could appreciate the opinion of someone who is well versed in determining the age, and the sex of Barred Rocks. One little darlin' has a longer tail and is lighter in colour than the other two..... .

The first two here have darker barring, and shorter tails....... so I'm wondering ....
Question #1: Does this mean I get two hens and a rooster, or two roosters and a hen?

Question #2: About how old do they look ?

Hello, I am new here and hoping that someone will please help me out. I'd recently ordered, and adopted 3 barred rock chickens. I could see that they were still quite young , all ready & boxed up for me to take home (very exciting!). Anyhow....they're home now, and I am posting a few photos by which I could appreciate the opinion of someone who is well versed in determining the age, and the sex of Barred Rocks. One little darlin' has a longer tail and is lighter in colour than the other two..... .

The first two here have darker barring, and shorter tails....... so I'm wondering ....
Question #1: Does this mean I get two hens and a rooster, or two roosters and a hen?

Question #2: About how old do they look ?
welcome-byc.gif

Honestly, they all look like cockerels to me. About 4 weeks, maybe? But post again in 2-3 weeks to confirm.

where did you get them?

So, 9 days ago, I brought home 6 chicks. Among them, was this chick that I named Stripe. I immediately fell in love with this one.
The only problem is my city does not allow roosters, and I think it might be one. I know its really too early to sex him/her...but what are
your thoughts? I don't want to get too attached. Thanks!

So, 9 days ago, I brought home 6 chicks. Among them, was this chick that I named Stripe. I immediately fell in love with this one.
The only problem is my city does not allow roosters, and I think it might be one. I know its really too early to sex him/her...but what are
your thoughts? I don't want to get too attached. Thanks!

I think it looks like a female. If it is a male, it won't be long before you know. Barred rocks show their true colors early. I'm pretty sure that's a pullet though.
smile.png

I know the feeling about getting attached....it's weird, their like any other animal we get attached too. I had a barred rock I thought was a roo, and I gave her to a friend, whom lives close, and is taken such great care of my Ricky, and she even asked if I wanted to take her back, cause it turned out to be female, but I just couldn't because now Ricky is free ranging a big yard, and very happy with her other chicken friends, and goats. I just did not have the heart to take her away from that. good luck. I'm new here, so I hope it's a hen....

Back
Top Bottom