Sexing eggs!

While this is true, males get a darker shade of red on the shoulders.
For example, this my Easter Egger cockerel at 6 weeks.

At 8 weeks, he was a light red, with just a touch of darker red on the shoulders/wings.

By 12 weeks, the dark red color had spread to the chest.

By 16 weeks, he was a solid, deep red.
Beautiful boy. Check out my avatar EE roo.

On a side note to this thread, more roundish eggs can have a tendency to cause malpositioned embryos.

I had a super round egg I hatched last year, the chick was positioned backwards and needed assistance hatching. As soon as he was out I could see he was a cockerel, his comb was huge and already red LOL.

Mine is an Easter Egger. I'm trying to breed a flock of Easter Eggers with that deep red coloring, lay green eggs, and have the fluffy muffs.

That sounds really cool! I'm now trying to breed a chocolate/red chicken that lays green eggs... might take a little while to get lol. I'm probably gonna start with chocolate orpingtons and easter eggers or cream legbars

sometimes at birth the combs can be big because they have a rush of hormones. If it is really big it is a boy.

He did have ALLOT of hormones up until 8 weeks old, the first day after he hatched he attacked my foot
th.gif
I thought for sure he was gonna be a mean rooster. After 8 weeks he mellowed out and has not shown aggression towards any human since, although he defends his flock from hawks and other predators. He is the best rooster I've ever had (and I've had probably around 300 roosters so far)

this is him

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom