Sexing eggs!

Well, no luck for me helping with data collection. I put 4 mutt eggs in my bator, 3 round, 1 pointy, and only the pointy one hatched (of course, right? lol). I haven't done eggtopsies yet to see what happened to the others, but they quit very late.
sad.png

Well, no luck for me helping with data collection. I put 4 mutt eggs in my bator, 3 round, 1 pointy, and only the pointy one hatched (of course, right? lol). I haven't done eggtopsies yet to see what happened to the others, but they quit very late.
sad.png
Sorry the 3 round ones didn't hatch, it's annoying how that sometimes happens

I tried this experiment with my eggs. 8 out 10 were pullets.
My wife choose them. It worked for us.
That's cool. In the spring I'm gonna be doing lots more of these "experiments"
tongue.png

Good work Chapin. In the spring, we'll start a thread dealing specifically with this experiment. Hope we can get it set up in survey form with specific parameters. So hang on to your data, get it written down someplace, and save it for the thread!

WV, hope you do eggtopsies. I'd love to see what happened to those eggies. Malposition? vs other issues... Were they likely from the same hen???

Well, no luck for me helping with data collection.  I put 4 mutt eggs in my bator, 3 round, 1 pointy, and only the pointy one hatched (of course, right? lol).  I haven't done eggtopsies yet to see what happened to the others, but they quit very late.  :(   

I had a hatch that was over heated and hatched out 4 boys, 1 girl. Is there a chance your incubator is reading off?
Boys supposedly live through higher temperatures better. Girls live through lower temperatures better.

Last edited:
I am starting to regret posting this now. People seem very adamant that its not true but all i'm asking is to see, if a lot of people try, what kind of percentages we get. If you dont want to do it then thats fine, no one is forcing you too.
Don't. People love to hold on to cherished beliefs / folklore over facts - especially when those facts seem to be 'counter-intuitive'. I'm grateful for the link to the paper and for your introduction to the idea.

Part of what seems to be missing from people's criticism is an understanding that it is not a question of what your shape hens usually lay, but the relationship of the dimensions relative to that shape. Does your chicken lay long pointy eggs? Then some of them will be more so than others, and will have a different index.

I'll be looking at this again come springtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy gardener

Good work Chapin. In the spring, we'll start a thread dealing specifically with this experiment.
Any way to get on a list to be notified of same?

Last edited:
I am a total techno idiot. So... don't look to me to try to figure that one out. I tried to set up a survey once, but failed miserably at it. I think i'd like to be involved in the set up, though, and perhaps several others (no nay sayers please) can join on a collaborative effort to come up with the survey ?'s and format. This is NOT a debate about whether it works or not. What it is is a collaborative setting of eggs by many people, and collection and analysis of data, whether it be + or - in terms of supporting the egg shape theory. Pics would be helpful, as well as method of incubation, temp of incubation, total # of eggs set vs. eggs hatched, were they all rounded, any discernment re: choosing specific eggs from a specific hen. Especially helpful: folks who have a sex linked pairing to provide immediate gender data at hatch. Look for a new thread in the early spring announcing the initial set up of survey, looking for ?'s to include on survey. We'll progress from there.

Back
Top Bottom