Sexing Light Brahma?

Becky_H

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Somewhere Over The Rainbow.
I am *bad* at sexing any bird that doesn't have a single comb, so I'm hoping you guys will give me some insight here. Thanks!

S/he is about 6 weeks old (I'm told)

IMG_0683.jpg

hedwig.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

Last edited:
He doesn't look like my light brahmas do. Here's a pic of one of my females. I would say yours is a cockerel, because of the redness above the beak. Mine have no red at all.

P1030783.JPG

This is gimpy sitting on my husband's leg. (She doesn't really gimp, she just has 2 toes fused together is all).

Last edited:
How old is your girl? Mine's still feathering in, but she's got black going on. Or well he. Whatever. (I'm so smitten with this bird I don't care. It's bad.)

hedwig2.jpg
And her flight feathers are black (or with black)

Last edited:
Mine are right now 11 weeks, that pic I posted is from when she was about 8-9 weeks old. Mine seem to have more black than yours. I got mine from McMurray. I wish I would have ordered more than just 3 of them. They are the sweetest birds. Gimpy is my favorite one. She loves to be handled.

Last edited:
Aha, thank you!. Mine came from a BYCer. I don't know how much difference that makes, or where she originally came from (need to ask) and I'm not too worried about it - like I said, smitten- but I am of course curious.

I dunno Becky. I just went back and looked at my light brahmas when they were 5 week old chicks. Your chick has less pink and less comb than my cockerels did, but more pink and more comb than my pullets did. Does that make sense?

I'm getting roo vibes for some reason.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom