Sexing my 3 week Barred Rocks.

This is what the ad said that I responded to.

"Barred Rock and Sex-Link. Brown egg laying chicks (Straight Run) *Up to 1 week old $2 each *"

I feel a little confused by it. Wondering if I just have a barnyard mix?

This is what the ad said that I responded to.

"Barred Rock and Sex-Link. Brown egg laying chicks (Straight Run) *Up to 1 week old $2 each *"

I feel a little confused by it. Wondering if I just have a barnyard mix?

Yeah, you got a little bit of everything by the looks of it and barnyard mixes, for the most part, seems accurate. If all you want is healthy, egg laying chickens? You'll likely find they're just fine for that purpose. No worries.

On all these birds? Look for the early red combs and wattles. That's gonna be your tell tale marking. I already see red comb and wattles on #5. That's a K. (cockerel).

The red comb and wattles at 6-8 weeks is the cockerel's calling card. No pullets will show anywhere near that much secondary sex characteristic at that age. If at 8 weeks, they have them? K's. If not? They P's. (pullets)

Enjoy them. At $2 a piece, you did just fine.

Yeah, you got a little bit of everything by the looks of it and barnyard mixes, for the most part, seems accurate.  If all you want is healthy, egg laying chickens?  You'll likely find they're just fine for that purpose.  No worries.

On all these birds?  Look for the early red combs and wattles.  That's gonna be your tell tale marking.  I already see red comb and wattles on #5.  That's a K.  (cockerel). 

The red comb and wattles at 6-8 weeks is the cockerel's calling card.  No pullets will show anywhere near that much secondary sex characteristic at that age.   If at 8 weeks, they have them?  K's.  If not?  They P's. (pullets)

Enjoy them.  At $2 a piece, you did just fine.  

Thank you! I posted new pics today. They are 6-7 weeks old now. Did you see those pics?

All I am interested in are good egg layers! I will be thrilled if I can get 1-2 broody hens as well. :)

Broody traits are fairly well bred out of sex links and other mainstays of hatchery stock. Having a broody is a nifty thing, but if you want a broody, locate a silkie or cochin. Your birds are production birds and highly unlikely to go broody,

Again, sexing, there's no need to do a whole ton of online guessing. There are those folks who enjoy that sort of thing to help pass the time.

It is really simple to learn how to do it yourself. Re-read what I posted above. Red combs and wattles at 6-8 weeks is a cockerel, plain and simple. No red combs and wattles at 6-8 weeks is a pullet in the vast, vast majority of cases. Just look at them and you'll see for yourself what you have. That's why you got them, is to learn, watch them and enjoy them.

Broody traits are fairly well bred out of sex links and other mainstays of hatchery stock.  Having a broody is a nifty thing, but if you want a broody, locate a silkie or cochin.  Your birds are production birds and highly unlikely to go broody,

Again, sexing, there's no need to do a whole ton of online guessing.  There are those folks who enjoy that sort of thing to help pass the time. 

It is really simple to learn how to do it yourself.  Re-read what I posted above.  Red combs and wattles at 6-8 weeks is a cockerel, plain and simple.  No red combs and wattles at 6-8 weeks is a pullet in the vast, vast majority of cases.  Just look at them and you'll see for yourself what you have.  That's why you got them, is to learn, watch them and enjoy them.

Thank you. My husband and I feel like we are kind of understanding the difference. Just wanting some other opinions. We appreciate your input.
1f413.png
1f414.png

Is anyone willing to at least critique my guesses? Did the mod scare everyone away from my post? :)

Cockerels: 1,3,4,5&6
Pullets: 2,7,8,9,10,11,12,&13
Anyone willing?

Last edited:
I will say 1,3,4,5 are boys. Can't quite tell if 6's comb is pink or not in that lighting.
7 has a big comb but still yellow so I'd put her with the rest and say girls.
Looks like you ended up with more girls than boys!

I have 1 week old barred rocks. One is already getting tail feathers way before the others. Wonder if this could be a girl? I heard they feather out first.

Back
Top Bottom