Sexing my chicks

Orpy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 14, 2013
New Plymouth, New Zealand
How accurate is feather sexing? - hopefully very high as I'm liking the idea I don't have too many roosters

Below - I'm guessing a female

Below - Male

Below - Male

Below - Female

Below - Female

Below - Female

Hopefully you are right. but your females looks like they are few days older than the males.

Thanks, I hope I'm right too, then I can keep them all
woot.gif

Chirpy and Featherless (both 'females') were the first 2 to hatch (exactly 21 days, I'm still amazed by that), all the rest were hatched by the time I looked the next morning.....I noticed Featherfoot ('male' chick) has teeny tiny wing feather compared to the rest, and Midget ('male') was the teeniest chick of them all.

Just read an article that said 'roosters' grow feathers a little slower than 'hens' - this would fit nicely in with feather sexing my chicks being that my 2 'boy' have smaller 'wings' ... i'd be sooooooooo happy if both theories are correct

Just read an article that said 'roosters' grow feathers a little slower than 'hens' - this would fit nicely in with feather sexing my chicks being that my 2 'boy' have smaller 'wings' ... i'd be sooooooooo happy if both theories are correct
you better mark them , like a ring on their legs, because they grow fast. Thought it will help to see if youre accurate ! Please let me know later how much they have change.

I received four Lavender Orpington chicks today. They are four days old but I have ringed them with pink for those I think are girls and blue for the one I think is a girl. I am experimenting to see if the wing feathers as well as the legs up or down indicate their gender.

The three with the more developed wing feathers also just let their legs hang down when doing that test and the one with the shorter wing feathers pulls his legs up. So I'm hoping the tests are good and I've got three girls and a boy.

How accurate is feather sexing? - hopefully very high as I'm liking the idea I don't have too many roosters Below - I'm guessing a female
LL
Below - Male Below - Male Below - Female Below - Female Below - Female
Orpy what breed are these chicks and was the wing sexing method accurate? Only saw now this thread is almost a year old.

Back
Top Bottom