Sexing Parakeets

RaeAnnBucher

Hatching
Mar 14, 2017
Oklahoma
Hi!
My daughter received a pair of parakeets for her birthday, and I am confused about their sexes. The pet store said we had received a male and a female: the male being the one with blue coloring and the female with pinkish-purple coloring, but as they are aging, I'm not quite sure she was correct. Based on their leg tags, the yellow and blue parakeet is 4 months old, and the white and blue parakeet is 3 months old. Anyone want to guess their sex? Thanks for all the help!

Yep, you've got a pair. Its the nostrils you look at. Boys are blue, girls are pink/white.

From what I understand you do have a pair, but it's the yellowfaced which is the boy. They are still young and the full colour hasn't yet developed on their ceres. I think the pink one will turn dark blue (indicates boy) and the blue one will lighten to tan (indicates girl). I've found the cutelittlebirdiesavairy.com site to be the best to show the difference in gender through the different feather colours.

Nice photo! Nice parakeets :)

I don't think you have a pair. The light blue usually indicates a female. If it is really deep blue then it is a male. The one with the yellow face is defiantly a mature female. You can tell this because her cere is a pinky/tan color. Most immature females start out with light blue

Back
Top Bottom