Sexing Quail So confussed I tought I had all females??????

Pumpkan

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
Naples,FL
I am having a problem with sexing my quail too!I thought I had all females recently I started hearing calling!! And some strange behavior!! So Do females call at all? I have 5 and my two chinese quail have no double bibs that Ican see unless the stretch their necks up and then I'm not sure I also have two speckled ones and 1 silver and white one So I am really confused!! Cause I thought my red speckle one was calling then I saw her/him submit to a 2 second hump but she has called before! Then I see her chasing and pecking at hte other birds ???? The one Chinese has been calling not growling (that I can hear) But calling almost like a hawk??? Do I have a male or two?? I/m not sure what this all means!! HELP!! LOL I'm in Naples FL,

basically all the birds that are speckled are females. There are a few exceptions - ie pure white or tuxedo or splash markings are hard to sex by colour, but the rest - the males have more solid colouring, usually blue with a red breast and dark face - may or may not have a white bib.

I forgot to mention, that calling is typical male calls - a sad sounding PEE PEEE PEEWWWW! Looks to me like you have two males and three females. The first one is a red breasted, the last one is a normal, of the 3 hens you have one silver, (the pale one) one normal (the brown one) and one red breasted (the white with black speckles)

you have two females two males
and no you should not rehome anyone your perfectly paired.
if you can try taking one pair and seperating them from the other

actually she has 3 females and two males :)

Unless they are scrapping with one another I don't see any reason to do anything with them at all. If they are happy just leave them be. if you want to breed them you might want to separate into pairs but I always kept my buttons in colonies and never had many problems

Back
Top Bottom