Sexing Silkies DNA Best Company

Silked

Chirping
Nov 7, 2021
Hi,

I’m wondering the best company to do DNA sexing for silkies? Cost, accuracy, and the least traumatic way to get a sample please. Thank you!

Last edited:
I have used this one:
https://iqbirdtesting.com/

I was doing a different breed of chicken, not silkies, but I don't think that would make any difference.

They were accurate for the two chickens I did.

I plucked a few feathers from the chest of each chicken (following directions from their website), mailed them in, and the company did the rest. No problems.

If you hatch the chicks yourself, you can send in the eggshells instead of taking a sample from each chick. But of course that is only useful if you know which shell goes with which chick.

My chickens were Black Sumatras: small black pea combs, tiny wattles, and I was getting tired of waiting and guessing. I did a google search and picked the cheapest of the companies I found at the time. That was several years ago, so there may be changes in what companies are available and how much they charge.

When I raised silkies I looked online and called around. You can price them out this way and they usually send a collection kit to put a couple of feathers in. Make sure to get the quick of the feather for a good test. Tip send a few because you want to make sure they get a good sample. Hope this helps.

I have used this one:
https://iqbirdtesting.com/

I was doing a different breed of chicken, not silkies, but I don't think that would make any difference.

They were accurate for the two chickens I did.

I plucked a few feathers from the chest of each chicken (following directions from their website), mailed them in, and the company did the rest. No problems.

If you hatch the chicks yourself, you can send in the eggshells instead of taking a sample from each chick. But of course that is only useful if you know which shell goes with which chick.

My chickens were Black Sumatras: small black pea combs, tiny wattles, and I was getting tired of waiting and guessing. I did a google search and picked the cheapest of the companies I found at the time. That was several years ago, so there may be changes in what companies are available and how much they charge.
Thank you!! I didn’t know that about the egg shells. I’m not sure I can keep track of what chick comes from what egg but I’ll try! We are hatching silkies. We can’t keep roosters so I’d like to know as soon as possible which ones to try to not get attached to. I have homes for them already so that helps. Thank you again for the help!

Thank you!! I didn’t know that about the egg shells. I’m not sure I can keep track of what chick comes from what egg but I’ll try! We are hatching silkies. We can’t keep roosters so I’d like to know as soon as possible which ones to try to not get attached to. I have homes for them already so that helps. Thank you again for the help!
Some people put the eggs in mesh bags or baskets to hatch. If you have one egg per bag, then after it hatches you have one chick and one shell in that bag, which makes it easy to tell.

The more chicks you have at once, the harder it is to keep track of them all. Putting each egg in an individual bag is pretty easy if you only have a handful of eggs, but not if you have 50+ eggs. I don't know what scale you are working at.

Back
Top Bottom