Sexing silkies!

Okay this may sound dumb but how can you tell roo from pullet on the silkies? All the pics look the same to me. I'm also dumb to this but what the heck is a waddle? I have 10 silkies roughly 12- 15 weeks old. I read a post on here about if the toes are the same length they are pullets, we tried this but all middle toes are longer which would mean I have all roos. Does this method work for silkies?

a clearer photo with it standing normally and a close up of the front of the face so comb area is visible would be a great help. As is, I would have to say roo but it's very difficult to make out distinguishing characteristics in this photo

Okay this may sound dumb but how can you tell roo from pullet on the silkies?  All the pics look the same to me.  I'm also dumb to this but what the heck is a waddle?   I have 10 silkies roughly 12- 15 weeks old.  I read a post on here about if the toes are the same length they are pullets, we tried this but all middle toes are longer which would mean I have all roos.  Does this method work for silkies?
I would not think the 'toe method' would work on silkies. For several reasons. Wattles are the fleshy bits that hang underneath a chickens beak. Although silkies are difficult to sex there are a few characteristics that are more prevalent in one sex or the other. With silkies it's no guarantee but gives you at least a very good idea of possible gender. Crowing and laying eggs are your only real guarantee.

Back
Top Bottom