Sexing Turkeys

Aliyah

Chirping
Dec 9, 2020
I have a lot of questions about how to sex turkeys. I see that there are many people on here that also have the same question. I saw the below information on Facebook and it helped me. I thought it was something that might help others in this group. Hope it does.

A lot of you are asking how do I sex my turkeys? Well, I was born and raised on a farm, worked at feed mills that sold birds, hatched my own, and have had turkey, guineas, ducks, and chickens. Up till the last 4 or 5 years. We could sex poults ( we as in my mother my older sister and myself could sex them right from the egg.)
The 101 of sexing turkeys... Just hatched... The snoods... A snood twice as tall as the fuzz and fully round... Equals tom. If the snood looks like a blind hair pimple... It's a hen...
(For a first-timer pick up and hold 3 or 4 so that you can see their snoods and I guarantee unless you are holding all males it will be clearly apparent.)
As they age when they have full wing and tail feathers and like to strut means it's either a tom or what will be your alpha hen. (Now male wing feathers line up perfectly, hens won't) And only the snood will tell you most accurately which it is the smallest snood is your alpha hen. Some males will lose feathers as they grow that's why the symmetrical wing thing isn't guaranteed to work all the time.
By 8 to 10 weeks she will stop strutting. But by that age 8 to 10 weeks the males will have snoods that will lay down and their waddles will hang more exaggerated and their heads will start turning blue. Hens snoods will lengthen and contract just like male appendages by how warm or cold or nervous they get. Hens will also but they will always be shorter closer to the forehead yet at this point.
Then like I said watch waddles and the heads Turing blue... Blue head, and being that young basically blue head is advertising blue balls... Lol, their brains have an urge to do things their bodies aren't mature enough for yet. Just like full-grown males right before the hens become receptive. Waddles will droop significantly and start turning red.

Having mature toms will inhibit jakes from exhibiting those characteristics. I have had jakes at 10 months before they lengthen the snood below the beak or changed colors. But they were obviously male.
That is good to know as well. I am very new to turkeys, I have 8 wk old Poults and like everyone else am trying to figure this out.

That is good to know as well. I am very new to turkeys, I have 8 wk old Poults and like everyone else am trying to figure this out.
Don't put a whole lot of faith in the information that you posted. If it was true, everyone would be using those methods to sex their newly hatched poults.

The commercial hatcheries have bred the BBWs to be able to be feather sexed at a day old. That does not apply to heritage turkeys.

Not all varieties develop at the same rate. My Sweetgrass poults do not get early snood development.

I have a good record of sexing my poults at an early age and I do not use any of the described techniques. Of course I don't make the false claim that the methods I use are 100% accurate. Having both sexes available to compare at the same time is a big help.

Don't put a whole lot of faith in the information that you posted. If it was true, everyone would be using those methods to sex their newly hatched poults.

The commercial hatcheries have bred the BBWs to be able to be feather sexed at a day old. That does not apply to heritage turkeys.

Not all varieties develop at the same rate. My Sweetgrass poults do not get early snood development.

I have a good record of sexing my poults at an early age and I do not use any of the described techniques. Of course I don't make the false claim that the methods I use are 100% accurate. Having both sexes available to compare at the same time is a big help.
Teach us how you sec your poults, and at what age

I just bought hatchery BBW and the never said anything about feather sexing. Wish I had known. They mentioned size but my day olds all seemed to weigh about 65-70 grams.
Whats your method?

I just bought hatchery BBW and the never said anything about feather sexing. Wish I had known. They mentioned size but my day olds all seemed to weigh about 65-70 grams.
Whats your method?
Valley of the Moon Turkeys is the only hatchery that I know of that is selling sexed broad breasted turkeys. They have a minimum order of 20 poults.

If I was wanting BB turkeys I would get their minimum order and immediately sell the excess that I don't want. I believe that even with shipping that they are low enough priced that I could sell them for less than the local feed stores charge.

My method is a combination of observing both physical and behavior traits. I can't really explain my method because now it is pretty much down to looking at them and thinking that's a hen or that's a tom.

You can ask @Quarterhorses1 to explain her method of sexing them by their head shape.

Well i went by weight, bold behaviors, snood size, and narrow dainty heads. Ill keep you posted. I think I selected 5 hens and one Jake tricked me by being super snuggly.

Back
Top Bottom