Sexing young Reeves

millebantam

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Little Rhody
The other day I ran into a pheasant breeder in my area and bought a bunch of pheasant chicks. I got 4 Reeves chicks that are about 6 weeks old. How son can I sex them and what are the differences to lok for? Thanks in advance.

Uh Oh Here We Go Again.... Lol My Answer Is Always Once They Are A Yr Old The 1 On Top Is Male, The One On Bottom Is Either Female Or Funny..... Lol, Sorry Couldnt Resist! Send A Pm To Spectrum Ranch, Lophura, Or P/shall Any Of Those Guys Can Tell Ya! Good Luck, Hope Ya Got A Roo And 3 Ladies!

Thanks Tony. I had noticed that two of the four reeves chicks seem to have a yellow/gold tint to the feathering on their heads that the other two don't seem to have, and wondered if that somehow was an indicator.

The breeder that I got these from also has red and yellow goldens, lady amhearst, and silvers. He sold me a bunch of red golden chicks for cheap because he had mixed in a few yellow golden chicks in the brooder, and couldn't sort them out. He sold me the whole brooder full as sort of "pot luck", and said that it would be easier to sort them out after they were older.

I've got some of my own dark throat chicks that I hatched out here, and they do look different from a standard red golden.

He should be able to sort reds from yellows easily.The yellows are lighter in color as the reds are brown.Oh well better for you.Yes the dark throated have a chocolate bib where the red doesn't.
It that all the breeds you raise?
Are you looking for more?
I have red and yellow goldens,black ringnecks,amherst,silvers and blue eareds for sale,all 2009 hatch.I also have 2008 hatch swinhoe pair,amherst pair and a 2007 hatch red golden pair.Most are outside with no heat.I do have some younger birds under lights still.
In N.H.,Tony.

I should probably clarify, the gentleman that I purchased them from is elderly, probably late 70's, and it was more like he didn't want to be bothered sorting them out rather than "couldn't" sort them.
kikescove.com :

Kinda scary he couldn't tell the yellows from the reds.​

Back
Top Bottom