Sexing your Silkies (PICTURES AND TIPS - Updated July-5-12)

Pics
Great info. Thank you! I wound up with 5 of 7 silkie chicks having to go back to the farm because they were boys. But with the last 2 I got, I could tell in one week that one is a boy and his hatchmate is a girl. Hatched on the same day, but he is noticeably larger. His crest isn't poofy, it's rakish. He stands tall. Mostly, though, he acts like a baby rooster. He does the cock walk. He stands watch over his girl all the time. He's bolder, but not as cuddly. They're 6 weeks old now, but as I said, I have felt 99.9% sure since week one.

Great info. Thank you! I wound up with 5 of 7 silkie chicks having to go back to the farm because they were boys. But with the last 2 I got, I could tell in one week that one is a boy and his hatchmate is a girl. Hatched on the same day, but he is noticeably larger. His crest isn't poofy, it's rakish. He stands tall. Mostly, though, he acts like a baby rooster. He does the cock walk. He stands watch over his girl all the time. He's bolder, but not as cuddly. They're 6 weeks old now, but as I said, I have felt 99.9% sure since week one.

I was absolutely sure about one little boy the day he hatched! I never wavered and he indeed was.

I was also sure about one little girl at about the first 1-2 weeks.

The rest of them...took quiet awhile to be sure, though I did have a feeling about each that turned out right. Some are just plain obvious I think! Too bad they all weren't.

It's still early (silkies are notoriously hard to gender ID until very late). But your chick's stance screams roo.

It's still early (silkies are notoriously hard to gender ID until very late). But your chick's stance screams roo.
thumbsup.gif

It's still early (silkies are notoriously hard to gender ID until very late).  But your chick's stance screams roo.

Agree, and that beak.. The eyes.. Everything says roo to me.

:oops: gg

I guess I better give up trying to hatch a blue hen and find one for sale! uggggg  Halo should be called Bling!
His comb is big also. I'm going with 95% sure on it being a boy.

I would buy a mature blue hen if I were you :p Save you the disappointment.

He is adorable though!

Back
Top Bottom