Sexing your Silkies (PICTURES AND TIPS - Updated July-5-12)

Pics
Quote: I guess I better give up trying to hatch a blue hen and find one for sale! uggggg Halo should be called Bling!
His comb is big also. I'm going with 95% sure on it being a boy.

I would buy a mature blue hen if I were you
tongue.png
Save you the disappointment.

He is adorable though!
I know, I just dont want to bring in other birds LOL but I may submit if I can FIND ONE!

It's still early (silkies are notoriously hard to gender ID until very late).  But your chick's stance screams roo.

Agree, and that beak.. The eyes.. Everything says roo to me.

:oops: gg

I guess I better give up trying to hatch a blue hen and find one for sale! uggggg  Halo should be called Bling!

I would buy a mature blue hen if I were you :p Save you the disappointment.

He is adorable though!

I know, I just dont want to bring in other birds LOL  but I may submit if I can FIND ONE!
Oh I definitely am with you there. I don't like bringing in any adults. Day olds only, if at all.

Maybe you can just order 10 blue straight run chicks? You will have to get at least one or two girls out of that. If not, I would seriously question whoever sold you them.

Quote: I guess I better give up trying to hatch a blue hen and find one for sale! uggggg Halo should be called Bling!

I would buy a mature blue hen if I were you
tongue.png
Save you the disappointment.

He is adorable though! I know, I just dont want to bring in other birds LOL but I may submit if I can FIND ONE! Oh I definitely am with you there. I don't like bringing in any adults. Day olds only, if at all.

Maybe you can just order 10 blue straight run chicks? You will have to get at least one or two girls out of that. If not, I would seriously question whoever sold you them.
Good Idea... suggestions on sellers? I am in PA

This thread has been extremely helpful. I have been able to sex 3 of my silkies but my one in question is my paint. Any suggestions? 4 months old. I noticed the tail has some streamers but as you can see in the picture my partridge hatched on the same day as a bunch more and the partridge has his comb coming in. The black roo I have is maturing a little slower, no facial features yet. What do you guys think?

This thread has been extremely helpful. I have been able to sex 3 of my silkies but my one in question is my paint. Any suggestions? 4 months old. I noticed the tail has some streamers but as you can see in the picture my partridge hatched on the same day as a bunch more and the partridge has his comb coming in. The black roo I have is maturing a little slower, no facial features yet. What do you guys think?

Looks like a pullet to me. Try to get pictures of he comb straight on and from the side. Cutie!

Hi, I was wondering if you'd be able to help me out with sexing a pair of silkies. They are both that same age. I know its early still, but I thought I let you all give it a try. They are beginning to look very different. Here are the pics.

This is Harry. (My kids named them...)

Harry

The one looking at the camera is Moose. Again my kids named them! ;)

The feather growth is so different.

Harry

Moose on the left, Harry on the right.

Moose

Moose

Harry

Harry

Harry on the left, Moose on the right.

Hi, I was wondering if you'd be able to help me out with sexing a pair of silkies. They are both that same age. I know its early still, but I thought I let you all give it a try. They are beginning to look very different. Here are the pics.

This is Harry. (My kids named them...)

Harry

The one looking at the camera is Moose. Again my kids named them! ;)

The feather growth is so different.

Harry

Moose on the left, Harry on the right.

Moose

Moose

Harry

Harry

Harry on the left, Moose on the right.
It is really too early to tell. They are very cute though!

For fun I'd guess Moose is a girl and Harry a boy. I guess this because of Harry's stance and brave-appearing nature. Going by tail feathering however, then I'd say the opposite since Harry has more tail feathering than Moose! But I have to say that this method had not worked well for me. Others will have better opinions!

These pictures are all just too cute!
I've been reading to see if I too can increase the chances of pulling a few pullets when I go pick up our new chicks next week.
Luck of the draw by the looks of.... I might try for half fas feathered and half not, hoping for a half and half mix haha.

mchlldickson, how have harry and moose turned out in the past few weeks. It will be interesting to see their progress in the past few weeks :)

Back
Top Bottom