Sexlinked Barred Cochin (hatchery) x MFCB (home bred)

Birdie2019

Songster
May 12, 2020
Florida
I have a Barred Cochin hen who was bred with a Millie Fleur (not standardized) cock. Is it possible these chicks would be sexlinked? I would assume not, as the cock doesn’t have any barred genes and can’t give them to the cockerels. Am I right in saying this?

I have a Barred Cochin hen who was bred with a Millie Fleur (not standardized) cock. Is it possible these chicks would be sexlinked? I would assume not, as the cock doesn’t have any barred genes and can’t give them to the cockerels. Am I right in saying this?

You should get sexlinked chicks, becaues the mother is barred and the father is not-barred.

The sons should be barred (like their mother is), and the daughters should be not-barred (like their father is.)

They will probably be mostly black, with some white or gold feathers showing here and there, and of course the white barring on the males. The gold and the dotted pattern of the Mille Fleur are caused by a combination of genes that are mostly recessive to the all-black base color of the Barred Cochin.

Genetic explanation of how the sexlinkage works:
Barring is on the Z chromosome, and is a dominant gene.

A rooster has ZZ, and passes one Z to each chick. The not-barred rooster is passing not-barred to every chick he sires.

A hen has ZW, and she passes Z to her sons and W to her daughters. So in this case her sons get barring (on the Z chromosome) and her daughters do not (W chromosome does not have any genes that affect barring or not-barring.)

Thus each daughter has Z (not barred) from the father and W from the mother. The daughters are not barred.

Each son has Z (not barred) from the father and Z (barred) from the mother, and because barring is dominant they do show white barring.

You should get sexlinked chicks, becaues the mother is barred and the father is not-barred.

The sons should be barred (like their mother is), and the daughters should be not-barred (like their father is.)

They will probably be mostly black, with some white or gold feathers showing here and there, and of course the white barring on the males. The gold and the dotted pattern of the Mille Fleur are caused by a combination of genes that are mostly recessive to the all-black base color of the Barred Cochin.

Genetic explanation of how the sexlinkage works:
Barring is on the Z chromosome, and is a dominant gene.

A rooster has ZZ, and passes one Z to each chick. The not-barred rooster is passing not-barred to every chick he sires.

A hen has ZW, and she passes Z to her sons and W to her daughters. So in this case her sons get barring (on the Z chromosome) and her daughters do not (W chromosome does not have any genes that affect barring or not-barring.)

Thus each daughter has Z (not barred) from the father and W from the mother. The daughters are not barred.

Each son has Z (not barred) from the father and Z (barred) from the mother, and because barring is dominant they do show white barring.
Thank you for that! For some reason I had swapped the two. Glad you could explain it to me of little experience. I understood it well, so thank you!

Thank you for that! For some reason I had swapped the two.
It is easy to get mixed up.

Some years ago I decided sexlinked chicken genes were fascinating, so I kept re-studying it until I could finally keep them straight. It did take me a while ;)

Glad you could explain it to me of little experience. I understood it well, so thank you!
You're welcome. Glad I could help!

Back
Top Bottom