Sexual maturity age of roosters?

quiltnchik

Songster
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Virginia
Not sure if this post is in the right place, but I wasn't sure where to put it.

At what age do roosters become sexually mature? I know they start "acting" like grownups before they actually are, but I'm wondering how long I have to wait for the eggs I'm now getting to be fertile.

My boys are 16-17 weeks old and my pullets are 24-25 weeks old, and 2 of them just started laying this past weekend. The first egg was laid Sunday morning and showed no sign of fertility when I cracked it to use it in cinnamon rolls <grin>, so I was just wondering how much longer I should wait before attempting to incubate some
smile.png

Hmmmm...that is a very good question. I am newer to chickens and I thought long as the roo was mounting the hen you'd have fertile eggs. My oldest roos are 16 weeks and they are very active with the flock.
wink.png
My hens are just 14 weeks so I have some time. Good luck & hope the eggs are fertile for you soon!
tongue.png

I have two roosters that are the same age. The Australorp rooster has been crowing since he was 12 weeks old and now he's going after the hens at 16 weeks. They are 16 weeks, too. They run from him and do not squat and if they can't get away he jumps them and they scream bloody murder. What do I do? Can he be slowed down? I don't want to get rid of him but he's hurting the hens.

The Golden Sex Link rooster doesn't crow yet and he doesn't go after the hens. He acts like he doesn't know he's a rooster. Both roosters are the same size and age. The Australorp leads the way into the coop at night and the Golden Sex Link checks to make sure they are all in.

Back
Top Bottom