Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Wow! That's a game changer! And that explains why you can't leave storebought meat uncooked in the fridge for more than a few days, given where it's been before it was packaged. Thanks Molpet! I'll read the article shortly.
Also the stores usually get their meat from another state. Years ago the store in Illinois had a sale but out on the east coast was a storm. So they didn't get the chickens from Carolina.
Count back 10 days from the sale by date and that's probably when it was harvested. If it was never frozen .

It's a pity you weren't on BYC while I was still in Catalonia and writing about the tribes. You would understand my views better.
That's a good point.

I'd seen many of your pro-rooster decisions in Catalonia as they occured and I recall the trio of youngsters you re-homed in order to keep the tribes and natural resources in harmony.

With this background knowledge i took it for granted that you'd already thought of all the options for Dig and that you would be courageous but saddened.

For what it's worth, I know you did the right thing, as you always have, and I accept that I don't know all the factors in your environment and decision-making.

I recall the vet telling me cockerels don't know their life will be short. They live with all the joy of the moment and many people enable cockerels to have genuinely wonderful lives right up to a quick, painless ending.

Yes in cold refrigerator.
USDA is 10 days from slaughter to sell by date.

Also used to be common to hang unplucked and not gutted birds. People in USA totally freak about that nowadays.
https://honest-food.net/on-hanging-pheasants-2/

Birds sold in stores are usually thrown in a common water bath to cool. If an intestine is nicked the fecal matter is in the water and all are contaminated. That's why some are air chilled, which cost more.
I've not rested for 10 days, 6 at most and that was because he got stuck at the back of the fridge and he didn't get found until two days later.
This sell by/eat by dating system is so wastefull. Apart from discouraging people to re-remember by smell touch and colour that something is going off, so much food is still fine to eat way past the sell by date and a lot of that just gets thrown away.

Be careful what you wish for ;) :D

What I'm currently reading starts with this...
LIST OF ABBREVIATIONS
Apo, apolipoprotein
BMI, body mass index
CHD, coronary heart disease
CVD, Cardiovascular disease
DASH, dietary approaches to stop hypertension
FMD, flow-mediated dilation
HDL-C, high-density lipoprotein-cholesterol
HOMA-IR, homeostatic model assessment for insulin resistance
LDL-C, low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol
MCFAs, medium-chain fatty acids
MedDiet, Mediterranean Diet
MetS, metabolic syndrome
MFGM, milk fat globule membrane
MPLs, milk polar lipids
MUFA, monounsaturated fatty acids
PREDIMED, Prevención con Dieta Mediterránea
PUFA, polyunsaturated fatty acids
PURE, Prospective urban rural epidemiology
RCT, randomized controlled trials
SCFAs, short-chain fatty acids
SFA, saturated fatty acids
SM, sphingomyelin
T2D, type 2 diabetes
:thIt's enough to put me off before I've even begun reading it!
Someone has a hectic supervisor who doesn't recall their research!

This sell by/eat by dating system is so wastefull. Apart from discouraging people to re-remember by smell touch and colour that something is going off, so much food is still fine to eat way past the sell by date and a lot of that just gets thrown away.
It also discourages thinking.

I'm not picky about expiration dates on things. If it still smells and looks good, and tastes like it should chances are if it's a food i want it won't stand a chance.

That's a good point.

I'd seen many of your pro-rooster decisions in Catalonia as they occured and I recall the trio of youngsters you re-homed in order to keep the tribes and natural resources in harmony.

With this background knowledge i took it for granted that you'd already thought of all the options for Dig and that you would be courageous but saddened.

For what it's worth, I know you did the right thing, as you always have, and I accept that I don't know all the factors in your environment and decision-making.

I recall the vet telling me cockerels don't know their life will be short. They live with all the joy of the moment and many people enable cockerels to have genuinely wonderful lives right up to a quick, painless ending.
Thanks.

Dry but chilly at 5C.
There is little doubt that Fret and Carbon a little bit put out by Mow now officially being a member of their tribe and of course, attracting Henry's attention, not to mention have the audacity to jump onto Bucket Boys lap to ensure they can't drive her away when food is being given out.. It's far from bad behaviour from Fret and Carbon but it is noticable.
They stayed together right up to heading back for food and going to roost. They eat, get on the roost bar in the extension and Henry goes in first and Fret and Carbon follow in no praticular order. Mow isn't ready for this routine and likes to stay out in the field until the light fades, or I go and get her. She's last usually, eats in peace and slips in and gets in her spot.
P4170603.JPG

P4170602.JPG
P4170600.JPG
P4170601.JPG
P4170604.JPG
P4170605.JPG
P4170599.JPG
P4170606.JPG
P4170607.JPG

Back
Top Bottom