Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I've not rested for 10 days, 6 at most and that was because he got stuck at the back of the fridge and he didn't get found until two days later.
This sell by/eat by dating system is so wastefull. Apart from discouraging people to re-remember by smell touch and colour that something is going off, so much food is still fine to eat way past the sell by date and a lot of that just gets thrown away.
yes it is wasteful
My cousin will toss sell by items. I have sent and told her numerous times that it's just for store use and doesn't mean expired. ...and expired is a cya, it's still good in most cases.
My store will sell things 50% off a day or so before the sell by date. If its something I'll use I buy it so it doesn't go to waste.

yes it is wasteful
My cousin will toss sell by items. I have sent and told her numerous times that it's just for store use and doesn't mean expired. ...and expired is a cya, it's still good in most cases.
My store will sell things 50% off a day or so before the sell by date. If its something I'll use I buy it so it doesn't go to waste.
I have often purchased marked-down meat, with the intent to freeze it for later consumption. It does need to be checked for spoilage the same day, then properly wrapped for deep freeze. We recently ate a roast that had been frozen in 2022, and it tasted fine.

Martha frustrated Samuel today :cool:
IMG_20240417_171449543~2.jpg

She gave him no opportunity to sneak up from behind.

I recall reading about hanging a pheasant in the book Shogun. It did appear rather... :sick
I remember that ....
It was eye-opening how the English sailors considered the Japanese "barbarians" but as you read the book and saw the sailors through the natives' eyes you got a completely different perspective in a lot of ways. Well ... except for the casual attitude toward human life, of course.

Is Mow the dark little hen?

This sell by/eat by dating system is so wastefull. Apart from discouraging people to re-remember by smell touch and colour that something is going off, so much food is still fine to eat way past the sell by date and a lot of that just gets thrown away.
It is, and thankfully it is being withdrawn (albeit piecemeal) here now. But the sell by/ use by dates aren't the only cause of our massively wasteful global food system. A lot is lost even before it gets to the consumer. There is a comprehensive data set on the topic here https://www.fao.org/platform-food-loss-waste/flw-data/en/

Back
Top Bottom