Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Tax for my ramble the other day
20240504_132719.jpg
20240504_132417.jpg
20240505_191140.jpg

This chimes with my experience. It's most noticeable in the mornings when I open up the coops, and the hens just want to eat breakfast, while the males just want to mate :rolleyes::lol:

Maria had been foregoing breakfast for a while in order to avoid all of the males - or (she is a smart cookie) she preferred to eat it later, in peace and quiet, on a plate she knew I'd supply when she turned up by the backdoor, long after the flock had moved on :D

What I've found very interesting is that most hens and pullets here prefer Fforest, despite the fact - obvious to all - that he's no. 2, he's not the dom. Typically the biologists say dominance leads to more mating and more offspring, but I'm not sure that's what's happening here. In any case, the girls have choices, and each to his own. No-one seems attracted to Gwynedd as yet, poor boy; hopefully he'll learn the tricks of the trade by watching Fforest, rather than Killay :p
I don't think our dominant, Blue, mates nearly as much as #3 Spud. He is always at it. He is quite the impressive dancer though. (more Travolta than Baryshnikov, but it seems to be effective.) 😝

Fez has been broody for 25 days now, and Llandeilo not much less. They've both lost a lot of weight, and showed no signs of giving up despite being lifted off the nests repeatedly since I got back from holiday. So I've had to resort to the heavy handed method of breaking again :(
View attachment 3824017
Hopefully it'll be quick, and they won't lose interest in brooding for the future; if this first attempt is a reliable indicator, I think they'll both do brilliantly!
The looks on their faces!

It was a lovely day.:thWarm at 20C. Light wind. Not a drop of rain.
Spent three hours there and the chickens didn't go to roost until after 8pm which is late by recent timing.
Fret is getting off her nest during the day when I'm not there. I doubt she's getting much to eat but I know she's had a poop and I assume had a drink and maybe even a bit of a dustbath under the shade construction. I got her up again and dumped her in front of the feed tray. She ate a decent amount, fretted around for a bit, sat on the extension roost bar furiously grooming and headed back to her nest.

I can't help wondering if the others know what's coming assuming some chicks hatch. Is Carbon muttering to herself I'll kick Fret's arse if she hatches another one like Dig?:D

P5070717.JPG
P5070719.JPG
P5070720.JPG
P5070721.JPG
P5070722.JPG

Back
Top Bottom