shaking heads...mites?

GarthRyan

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
All of my ten chickens which are a couple months old or so are shaking their heads every few seconds. I just put them outside a couple days ago and then they started the head shaking.

Yes my chickens shake their heads every 5-15 seconds when they are infested with mites. I can never find them on the chickens...I find them on me, biting me. So now I dust every 2- 4 months (repeat in 7 days to kill hatching eggs) with permethrin dust.

Also spray or dust the coop, toss all bedding and nest box material (or I have found they come right back).

It is possible also that there is some sort of inner ear problem, but since it is your entire flock I'd guess mites. For lice the retreatment is at 14 days, for mites 7 days.

They also shake their heads when you talk to them in an enclosed area. For example, if I am in the shed with my chickens, every time I speak they shake their heads. I suppose I am too loud for them.
lol.png
This happens when they have no bugs.

Yes my chickens shake their heads every 5-15 seconds when they are infested with mites. I can never find them on the chickens...I find them on me, biting me. So now I dust every 2- 4 months (repeat in 7 days to kill hatching eggs) with permethrin dust.

Also spray or dust the coop, toss all bedding and nest box material (or I have found they come right back).

It is possible also that there is some sort of inner ear problem, but since it is your entire flock I'd guess mites. For lice the retreatment is at 14 days, for mites 7 days.

They also shake their heads when you talk to them in an enclosed area. For example, if I am in the shed with my chickens, every time I speak they shake their heads. I suppose I am too loud for them. :lol: This happens when they have no bugs.
thanks for the quick feedback! But where would your average fellow find the products to kill them? Lol. Or what should i use?

Back
Top Bottom