She is walking on her hocks...advise please.

Sunne73

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 27, 2011
My little silkie girl born this past saturday had curled feet and obviously not getting around. I found a few fabulous websites that instructed me on how to fit her with little splints which has helped tremendously as she is keeping her feet flat but she is keeping her entire lower leg flat and walking around that way...not easily but she is getting around. It seems as though she is paralyzed from the "knee" joint down. Is this something that occurs, can this be corrected or can she continue to get around in the manner she currently is, will that cause more issues in time? She is getting stronger everyday and wobbling around to eat and drink. Should I do this to her...please help.

My advice is to try vitamin supplements for her. Get Polyvisol without iron. it's for human babies. Give her a few drops directly in her mouth every day. You can also put it in the water after a few days. Hopefully that will help. that worked for a chick I had in the fall that was having trouble walking. I think she was getting pushed away from the feeder by the other chicks and didn't get enough nutrients.

how is your silkie doing? I hope there is some improvement. I had a FBCM hatch that had major issues walking and I thought that I was going to have to cull it, but low and behold 3 days later it was like nothing was ever wrong with it!

Back
Top Bottom